Best New Products
Nest Learning Thermostat Saves Energy
By: Jodi Marks
The Nest Learning Thermostat (model# T200577) actually programs itself by remembering the temperatures you set. It can control the temperature when you’re away, and you can adjust the temperature remotely from a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
The Nest Learning Thermostat saves on average 10-12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills, which means it can pay for itself in under two years.
Features of the Nest Learning Thermostat include:
- Auto-Schedule: Learns the temperatures you like and programs itself.
- Auto-Away: Turns itself down when you’re away to avoid heating or cooling an empty home.
- Nest Leaf: Leaf icon appears when you set the thermostat to an energy efficient temperature.
- Energy History: Allows you to see when the heating and cooling were in use and the effect on your energy usage.
- Wi-Fi Enabled: Can be connected to Wi-Fi to allow you to control the temperature when you’re away with a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Auto-Tune: Finds ways to automatically lower your energy bill while keeping you comfortable.
- System Match: Turns on energy saving features on advanced HVAC systems to help save energy and stay comfortable.
- Sunblock: Automatically adapts if thermostat is in direct sunlight to read and set the right temperature.
The Nest Learning Thermostat is available at The Home Depot. Watch this video to find out more.
- Honeywell Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat (video)
- Save Energy with a Programmable Thermostat (video)
- Installing a Programmable Thermostat (video)
Jodi Marks: Let’s just be honest with each other. How often are you going to use a programmable thermostat if it’s too difficult to program? Chances are, you probably won’t.
But take a look at this. This is the Learning Thermostat by Nest. Now, let me take that little lid off. Look how sleek this design is. The beauty of the Nest is, like I said, it’s a learning thermostat; as opposed to, say, a programmable thermostat, because what it’s doing is it’s learning your behavior.
So let’s just say at night you like to have it set at a certain temperature. Set it, it will remember it. When you get up in the morning, you want to either raise that temperature, if it’s cold outside. It’ll remember that, too.
When you leave for work, you knock it down a peg or two—it will remember that. When you come home, turn it back up again—it will remember it.
And then it will chart over the course of a few days what your likes and dislikes are as far as the temperature goes. And it remembers it and then will start mimicking what you do.
So you don’t have to do any of the programming, you just get on with life. This is part of a whole system. You can run it with your smartphone, and I love the new age, sleek design. It is pretty sharp.
Videos You May Like
|Replacing a Thermostat||Programmable Thermostats Save Energy||Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat||Save Energy with a Programmable Thermo...|