How-To Videos

Repairing a Sagging Fence Gate with an Anti-Sag Gate Kit

Anti-Sag Gate Kit installed on wooden fence gate to prevent sagging.

Anti-Sag Gate Kit installed on wooden fence gate to prevent sagging.

Wooden fence gates tend to sag over time due to exposure to the elements. There are several ways to repair and reinforce a gate that’s sagging, but the easiest is by installing an Anti-Sag Gate Kit available at home centers and hardware stores.

Stanley Anti-Sag Gate Kit

Stanley Anti-Sag Gate Kit, available at hardware stores and home centers.

To install an Anti-Sag Gate Kit:

1. Attach Corner Brackets: Attach the metal corner brackets to the top of the hinge side of the gate and the bottom of the latch side using screws.
  2. Attach Turnbuckle: Unscrew the turnbuckle, and attach it to the top metal corner bracket.
  3. Attach Cable: Attach the steel cable to the turnbuckle and bottom corner bracket using the cable clamps provided.
  4. Tighten Turnbuckle: Turn the turnbuckle to tighten up the cable and remove the sag from the gate.

Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Danny Lipford: Mike asks, “How do I keep a wooden gate from sagging?”

You know, I think sooner or later every wooden gate’s going to sag a little bit, because it has a lot going against it with the weather as well as gravity. Sooner or later it’s going to sag just a little bit.

Lot of ways to correct that problem, but I’ll tell you the easiest I found is to drop by the home center and pick up a simple, little hardware kit called an Anti-Sag Gate Kit.

Basically, it’s a couple of little corner pieces—one attaches to the upper part of the hinge side, and the other to the lower side—with a steel cable that runs between it. A turnbuckle and a few little clamps, and you’re able to actually adjust the gate and raise it back up to its original level.

And then it should stabilize it that way, because over the years, if it does start sagging at all, then you’re able just to tighten the turnbuckle up a little bit more. And it works on a small gate like this, as well as one as large as six-foot tall.

Comments

9 Comments on “Repairing a Sagging Fence Gate with an Anti-Sag Gate Kit”

• Ben Koppes Says:
    August 6th, 2018 at 11:39 am

I have a 6′ gate and the top is leaning forward. These kits seem to deal with sagging issues where the latch side is leaning, but will the kits also help with the leaning issue? If they do, I would think that they would have to be installed backwards (bottom hinge side to top latch side) to help “pull” the gate straight. I cant find any info on this, but does it sound accurate?

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 26th, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Hi, Rob,
    Danny says, “Hi, Rob, I agree with you they do a great job to make the gates function but they will twist them. What I’ve started doing is putting the second one on the other two corners to balance it out and provide more strength.
    Good luck!”

• Rob Moitoza Says:
    July 16th, 2018 at 9:58 pm

I always use these cable and turnbuckle kits, and they work great to pull the gate up and keep it from sagging, but they always seem to twist the bottom of the gate in. How do you keep it from twisting like that?

• scott minnis Says:
    June 24th, 2018 at 6:34 pm

What if gate hinge is on top corner?? Can I install anti-sag brace over hinge???

• Mike Says:
    April 30th, 2018 at 8:07 am

I created a 6 foot gate from a 6 Foor section of my fence. I have 3 hinges on it and I put a gate wheel at the bottom of the side where the latch is. When I open the gate it tend to be floppy for lack of a better description. It doesn’t sage be cause of the support wheel. How can I stiffen it so it will be more rigid?

• geoguide Says:
    January 15th, 2018 at 6:16 pm

If I’m not mistaken the gate shown has the cross brace installed in the wrong direction and so is likely heavily contributing to the gate sagging. The wooden cross brace is a compression type support and so should go from bottom hinge to top on the opening side. The anti-sag gate kit is tension and should go the opposite way.

• John dow Says:
    December 7th, 2017 at 6:00 pm

What happens when only one wood gate pice is broken??
    Do u have to rebuild the whole thing??

• Kevin Says:
    June 9th, 2017 at 7:20 am

I have a sagging fence gate; however, the gate swings inward and the hinges are blocking the top left 2×4 of the gate preventing me from placing the corner bracket. Is there anything I can to to fix the sag, given the issue with the hinge?

• Kathy Donaghey Says:
    April 9th, 2016 at 7:08 am

My fence gate is twisting and out of alignment, how do I DIY this problem

Repairing a Sagging Fence Gate with an Anti-Sag Gate Kit