Repairing a Sagging Fence Gate with an Anti-Sag Gate Kit
By: Danny Lipford
Wooden fence gates tend to sag over time due to exposure to the elements. There are several ways to repair and reinforce a gate that’s sagging, but the easiest is by installing an Anti-Sag Gate Kit available at home centers and hardware stores.
To install an Anti-Sag Gate Kit:
- Attach Corner Brackets: Attach the metal corner brackets to the top of the hinge side of the gate and the bottom of the latch side using screws.
- Attach Turnbuckle: Unscrew the turnbuckle, and attach it to the top metal corner bracket.
- Attach Cable: Attach the steel cable to the turnbuckle and bottom corner bracket using the cable clamps provided.
- Tighten Turnbuckle: Turn the turnbuckle to tighten up the cable and remove the sag from the gate.
Watch this video to find out more.
- DIY Gate Support Hardware (video)
- How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging (video)
- Keeping a Dog from Digging Under a Fence Gate (video)
Danny Lipford: Mike asks, “How do I keep a wooden gate from sagging?”
You know, I think sooner or later every wooden gate’s going to sag a little bit, because it has a lot going against it with the weather as well as gravity. Sooner or later it’s going to sag just a little bit.
Lot of ways to correct that problem, but I’ll tell you the easiest I found is to drop by the home center and pick up a simple, little hardware kit called an Anti-Sag Gate Kit.
Basically, it’s a couple of little corner pieces—one attaches to the upper part of the hinge side, and the other to the lower side—with a steel cable that runs between it. A turnbuckle and a few little clamps, and you’re able to actually adjust the gate and raise it back up to its original level.
And then it should stabilize it that way, because over the years, if it does start sagging at all, then you’re able just to tighten the turnbuckle up a little bit more. And it works on a small gate like this, as well as one as large as six-foot tall.
Videos You May Like
|How to Keep Dogs from Digging Under a ...||DIY Gate Support Hardware||How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep ...||How to Prevent Your Dog from Digging U...|