Replacing a Roof Shingle
By: Danny Lipford
Replace a damaged asphalt shingle when the weather is warm, but not too hot, so the shingles around it will be flexible and not break when lifted. To replace a damaged roof shingle on an asphalt roof:
- Break Seal: Run a flat pry bar or putty knife between the damaged shingle and the shingles above and below it to break the seal.
- Remove Nails: Use a pry bar to remove the nails holding the damaged shingle and the one above it.
- Remove Shingle: Slide out the damaged shingle.
- Replace Shingle: Slip a new shingle in place.
- Nail Shingle: Nail the replaced shingle, as well as the one above it.
- Seal Shingle: Apply roofing cement under the replaced shingle and the one above it.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Replace a Damaged Asphalt Roof Shingle (video)
- How to Repair the Roof on Your Home (video/article)
- How to Clean and Inspect Your Roof (video)
- Replacing the Roof on Your Home (video)
To repair a damaged shingle you have to first separate it from the ones above and below it. A flat pry bar is the best tool to gently break this adhesive bond. Then use the bar to pry up the nails holding the damaged shingle and the one above it.
Remove the damaged shingle and replace it with a new one, driving nails just inside the edges of each tab. Don’t forget to replace the nails in the shingle above as well. Finally, for good measure, apply a little roofing cement to each of the nail heads to complete the repair.
Videos You May Like
|When to Replace Asphalt Roof||Asphalt Shingle Roof Replacement||How to Replace a Damaged Asphalt Roof ...||Roof Replacement Test|