Repurposing Furniture as a Potting Bench
By: Danny Lipford
Recycling an old piece of furniture is a great way to create a potting bench because it is often less expensive and requires less work than starting from scratch. Here’s how to convert an entertainment center into a potting bench:
- To make planting in larger pots easier, cut out the center portion of the top so it can be lowered. Use a circular saw to make cuts from front to back just inside the vertical supports on either side of the center.
- Cut off the center vertical support at the lower height where you want to relocate the work surface. You may have to finish these cuts with a hand saw or oscillating saw as we did, in order to get into tight corners.
- Once the top is free, remove the upper portion of the center vertical support that remains attached to the top.
- After some test fitting, notch the trim as needed.
- Add support cleats to the vertical sections on either side so you can install the center section of top at the new lower level.
- Secure the top to the cleats using finishing nails.
- Re-attach the back to the new lower section of top.
- Add screw-in furniture feet to raise the unit off the floor.
- Prime and paint the whole piece of furniture.
Watch the video for details.
Videos You May Like
|Tip for Leveling Wood Patio Furniture||DIY Outdoor Wood Furniture||DIY Portable Gardening Cart||DIY Bench Hook for Your Shop|