Around the Yard
By: Danny Lipford
Usually the only solution for managing a hilly lot is the construction of a retaining wall. While these walls can be constructed from many materials, by far the most durable are masonry (brick, block, or stone).
While the idea is to retain the soil behind the wall, you don’t want to retain water there. Consider adding gravel at the base of the wall on the uphill side and leaving weep holes every few feet in the base of the wall. This will allow ground water to drain down and through the wall instead of building up pressure behind it.
- How to Build a Stackable Block Retaining Wall (article)
- Types of Retaining Walls for Your Yard (video)
- How to Cut and Install Retaining Wall Topper Stones (article)
- How to Build Retaining Wall Corners (article)
- How to Align Blocks in a Curved Retaining Wall (article)
- White Efflorescence Stains on Retaining Walls (article)
Videos You May Like
|Types of Retaining Walls for Your Yard||Building a DIY Retaining Wall||DIY Block Retaining Wall||How to Level the Gravel Base for a Blo...|