Videos

Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint Can Take on Any Surface

Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint is the perfect choice for any surface—from wood and metal to plastic and vinyl. It resists corrosion and rust and is available in a wide range of colors, sheens, and finishes—including hammered and metallic.

The ergonomically designed trigger requires a third the pressure to operate, comes with a drip guard, and has a sliding spray lock to prevent accidental discharge. The 360° spray on Rust-Oleum Universal delivers a steady stream of paint at any angle, even upside-down!

So the next time you have a painting project around your house, reach for a can of Rust-Oleum Universal to take the hassle out of spray painting. Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

34 Comments on “Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint Can Take on Any Surface”

Thomas Boni Says:
    August 17th, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Hi, Annd,
    Danny says, “Yes, you certainly can and all you’ll need to do is lightly sand, wipe down all dust and then apply the new color. Good luck!”

• Annd Says:
    August 3rd, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Can I repaint wrought iron patio furniture currently a glossy finish with a satin finish? Same color, just from glossy to satin. Do I need to prep in any way?

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 31st, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hi, Catherine,

We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Here’s where you can do that: https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support/product-support/

Good luck!

• Catherine Bohn Says:
    July 30th, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Can I use your spray metal paint (in one of the beautiful finishes) to paint an old and faded cast aluminum fire pit table. I would not be paint the bowl that contains the fire.

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 26th, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Hi, Denise,

We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Here’s where you can do that: https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support

Good luck!

• Denise Says:
    July 10th, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Would this be durable for cabinet hardware?

Thomas Boni Says:
    June 7th, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Hi,
    We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Here’s where you can do that: https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support
    Good luck!

• Rita Arkley Says:
    June 4th, 2018 at 5:52 am

Can I use rust oleum enamel on inside door frame of microwave?

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 28th, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Hi, Sandra,
    We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Here’s where you can do that: https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support
    Good luck!

• Sandra Preston Says:
    May 27th, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Could I use clear Rust-oleum to protect painting on a rug I hand painted?

• Karen Funari Says:
    May 9th, 2018 at 10:40 am

Hi! I have a metal star for that hangs outside on the front of my house. It has rusted over the years. Do I need to sand off as much of the rust that I can before spray painting with the rustoleum spray paint?

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 11th, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Hi, Nadine,
    We receive numerous questions about specific products; due to the high volume of mail we receive, we do recommend contacting the manufacturer for such inquiries.
    In this case, you can find the contact information at https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support.
    Good luck!

• Nadine Peek Says:
    May 7th, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Can you use the rustolium paint, Hammered Brown, on the cloth on outdoor kitchen chairs. Or can you use the Universal rustoleum spray paint on cloth?

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 11th, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Hi, Matthew!
    We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Here’s where you can do that: https://www.rustoleum.com/help-and-support/product-support
    Good luck!

• Matthew Kill Says:
    May 6th, 2018 at 6:46 pm

mkill53@yahoo.com can you use rustoleum universal spray paint on plastic outdoor furniture

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 11th, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Hi, Nanny
    We recommend contacting the manufacturer for product-specific questions.
    Good luck!

• Nanny Says:
    May 4th, 2018 at 8:32 am

My daughter has 2 metal n plastic outdoor brown lounge chairs, Now lounges r light/Med brown shaded. We would like paint gay tone or should we stay to original color dark brown❓
    Living in S Florida sun faded lounges 😏
    Can we use rustoleum spray paint to redo lounges❓
    Other than sun fade, lounge chairs are in excellent condition.
    Many thx looking forwa d to ur reply☺️

• Jennifer Says:
    April 25th, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Would this work on fireplace doors?? I would like the oil rubbed bronze but can’t find in a high heat paint. Each time I google night heat paint the universal paint comes up.

• Ron Larson Says:
    April 9th, 2018 at 10:34 am

My old toilet seat is composit and no longer made. What should I use to repaint,including primer. I assume the original paint was an oil base, since it was made in 1980.

• Joy Says:
    January 10th, 2018 at 8:27 am

I have a metal bed that I need to touch up in some areas. Everything I use seems to rub off with touch. Will this paint stay on?

• maxpax Says:
    December 7th, 2017 at 5:43 am

Hi, can I use a textured spray paint to paint onto a concrete pathway?

• mary Says:
    November 14th, 2017 at 1:29 pm

can i spray paint my badly worn composite sink?

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    August 31st, 2017 at 10:47 am

Ruth, no, this paint is not food-safe for baking or storing food.

• RUTH Says:
    August 29th, 2017 at 7:34 pm

I have sprayed my old slightly rusting steel 9×13 baking pan with Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum glossy white paint. Will it be safe to use this pan at all for food? Just for storing food? For baking food? The pan is very nice otherwise and has a nice plastic lid.

• Georgette Marino Says:
    August 2nd, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I have an organic surface kitchen sink and would like to paint it black. Will this paint adhere and stand up to washing dishes and constant water?

• Penny Says:
    August 2nd, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I want to paint the metal stalls in our church’s bathroom. Can I use this? Will it chip?

• Diana Says:
    July 26th, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I spray painted the towel holders in the bathroom with the bronze paint. I want to paint the faucet. Will it require some kind of sealant since it’s in a wet/ humid environment and if so which do you recommend.

• Loanna Haseltine Says:
    June 19th, 2017 at 2:04 am

Hello, I want to paint my brand new refrig door in a dark cherry red to match the rest of my kitchen. Unfortunately no retailer in the entire city of 10,000,000 population carries this colour in appliance paint. And typical for the French overwhelming customer service they will not order it either. Can I use Rust olenum universal for my project. It will ruin my frig if it does not adhere. So I want to be sure first. My new frig is delivered in one week. Thank you for your advise.
    Kind regards,
    L. Haseltine

• julie Says:
    February 16th, 2017 at 12:39 pm

hi, want to use a spray paint to paint a plastic toilet seat red for my mother who has dementia and doesn’t recognise a white seat, would this paint do?

• IAN WALLACE Says:
    January 19th, 2017 at 9:46 am

Hello, I have a sandstone surround that my stove sits on. Can I use Rustoleum all surface paint and primer in one to cover over the sandstone?? It says on the tin about using on brickwork but I was unsure about using this on natural stone?

Regards

Ian

• Chelsi J Doss Says:
    January 7th, 2017 at 2:02 am

Hi I’m curious as to if I can use this paint on my walls? I’d really like to do the painted part of my walls in my bathroom with this

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    July 22nd, 2016 at 9:10 am

Melanie, yes, sand the caddy to remove the rust before painting it. Good luck!

• Melanie Harrison Says:
    July 22nd, 2016 at 3:19 am

I want to spray my shower caddy which has completely rusted.
    Do I need to remove the old rust prior to painting it?
    I was planning to use Rust-Oleum Universal Aged Metallics in nickel.

• Susan Says:
    November 23rd, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Hi can I use it to do a porcelain sink?

Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint Can Take on Any Surface