Top 50 Homeowner Challenges Videos
Save Energy Around Your Home
By: Danny Lipford
Making a few simple changes to your home can both save energy and lower your utility bills. Easy energy saving changes include:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs.
- Replace the filter on heating and cooling units every 2-3 months.
- Lower your thermostat in the winter and raise it in the summer.
- Seal up cracks around doors and windows.
- Easy Ways to Save Energy in Your Home (article)
- How to Make Hot Water Heaters More Efficient (video)
- Tips to Save Energy and Water When Washing Clothes (video)
- Eight Great Ways to Save on Heating Costs (article)
Small changes, like replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, can make a big difference in your energy costs. You should also replace the filters for forced air heating and cooling systems regularly to keep them running at peak efficiency.
A thermostat adjustment of two degrees up or down, depending on the season, will also rack up savings too. Finally be sure the weather stripping around doors and windows is in good shape and sealing the openings to keep the comfortable air inside and the uncomfortable air out.