Ask Danny Videos

Sealing Weep Holes in Brick Walls

What should I use to fill the small holes in my brick walls? -Steven

The small vertical slots near the bottom of brick walls are known as weep holes and are used to allow any moisture from condensation to drain out of the wall as well as air to circulate. While you should never fill weep holes with solid material—such as caulk, wood, or mortar—you can put strips of fiberglass screen wire or scouring pad in the weep holes to keep insects out.

Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Steven Asks: What should I use to fill the small holes in my brick walls?

Danny Lipford: The holes you’re talking about, that you’ll find around the perimeter of a brick home, are called weep holes. Now, these are very important and can’t be sealed up, because bricks always hold moisture and store moisture. So you need some place for that moisture to escape and air to circulate.

Now, if you’re concerned that insects may use that to get inside your home, well, here’s something you can do there. You can find some fiberglass screens—readily available, very inexpensive. You can just cut small pieces of it like this, and then just force it into the crack to keep the insects out. Another way is to use a scouring pad like this. Again, cut small sections of it, and insert it right in the crack. But you don’t want to use anything that has metal in it, because sooner or later it’ll rust.

Comments

6 Comments on “Sealing Weep Holes in Brick Walls”

• Lisa Smith Says:
    May 4th, 2017 at 10:12 am

I live in the deep south in a flood zone. I have a brick veneer home with weep holes all around the outside. When it dumps rain, say an inch within an hour, it floods quickly. Yesterday the water level got up about 3″ onto the brick. Of course, just like every time before, water came in where the weep holes are located. Not everywhere, just where the weep holes are. What can be done about this? I’m older and not very physically able to do much. I have arthritis etc. Small amounts of water would be better than water in every room of the house every time it floods. It doesn’t do it with a driving rain, only with flooding.
    What about sealant and filling in those weep holes?

• Irma Says:
    March 30th, 2017 at 8:10 am

My master bedroom has two windows which has a flower bed and a drainage system. When it rains really hard that the drainage can not keep up with the rain, the water seeps in thru the weep wholes and floods the bedroom. Might I be able to close/shut/stop only those weeps wholes so that water doesn’t keep filtering thru the weep holes and flooding my bedroom? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

• Deborah Morris Says:
    March 8th, 2017 at 2:23 pm

What if the weep holes in the brick are close to ground level and heavy rain can enter the holes. What do you do if anything?
    Thanks

• Amy Perry Says:
    November 28th, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hi, I live in Northwest Ohio in a home built in 1904. I think its textured block. Not sure of the correct name, but it’s block with a thick, rounded outer layer that looks sort of like stucco, but I think is concrete. The weep holes were covered with mortar by a previous owner. I’d like to get some weep holes in but don’t know how high up, how far apart, etc. Is there anyway to find the previous weep holes? Thanks for any help!

• WoodinVirginia Says:
    April 28th, 2016 at 2:54 am

Didn’t realize a baby snake can slither right into these pinkie size weep holes in my brick home. Last night walked in my Kitchen and a 8-10 inch baby Copperhead. Brown snake with yellow tipped tail sitting on my kitchen floor where SUN from Skylight hits the floor !!! (several hours per day) Think it was sunbathing till I can along. Caught him with sticky trap and disposed of him. Now I know what I must do. Got my scourimg pads from dollar general store. ( Cheapest pack of 8 cost 2.00!. Targets price for 4 scouring pads HD (3M) was 4.50. Think I will stick with the DG pads. THey seem to be acceptible Nylon based. Got screwdriver and irrigated holes (around 60 of them on my house. Got some Home Defense Insect repellent sprayer, and sprayed into EVERY ONE of those holes. THen following up by plugging these holes. Especially on the SUNNY side of the house facing East! Going to complete them all in 2 days. Next going to lay a couple of SNAKE sticky traps ( avail on Amazon) in my crawl space to see if anymore snakes/lizards residing under there (have heard bumping noises in my walls and attic recently.) Last year I saw a few Blue tailed Lizards on wall of my brick home. Thought they were harmless so I didn’t mess with them. Now they may have become a possible “food source to a Snake”; need to exterminate them too!

• Jean Crawford Says:
    May 30th, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Reading about critters entering thru weep holes (esp snakes) , it is ok then to put fiberglass mesh in the weep holes ??

Sealing Weep Holes in Brick Walls