Tips on Choosing and Installing a Deadbolt Lock
By: Guest Post
When buying and installing a deadbolt for your home:
- Choose a lock with a large diameter bolt that extends 1” or more.
- The lock should have a one piece exterior.
- Use 3” long screws to secure the strike plate to the wall studs.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Choose a Deadbolt Lock for Your Door (video)
- How to Reinforce a Deadbolt Lock on Your Home (video)
- How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary and Break-In (article)
- Burglarproof Locks (article)
Keeping your home secure starts with a lock, so here’s what to look for when you’re choosing a deadbolt. The bolt should have a large diameter to resist kick-ins and extend one full inch past the strike plate.
To combat other types of tampering, look for a one piece exterior that includes the shield to prevent picking and prying. You’ll also want a lock that’s easy to install; and when you do, use three-inch screws that will tie the strike plate into the studs for added strength.
This tip brought to you by Schlage—real security sets you free.
Videos You May Like
|Resettable Lock Feedback Forum||Reinforcing Deadbolt Locks||Choosing a Deadbolt Lock||SmartCode Keyless Entry Deadbolt Lock ...|