Ask Danny Videos
Tips on Keeping Water Out of Basements
By: Danny Lipford
The first step in keeping your basement dry is to make sure there is proper drainage in your yard so rainwater doesn’t pool next to your house foundation.
To improve drainage around your foundation:
- Install gutters with extensions on the downspouts to divert water away from your foundation.
- If you have planting beds next to your house, make sure there are gaps in the borders or edging to allow rainwater to flow away.
- Build up the ground next to your house with fill dirt so the ground slopes away from your foundation.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Keep Water from Damaging Home Foundation (video)
- How to Reduce Mold and Moisture Under Your Home (video)
- How to Solve Moisture Problems Under Your Home (article)
- Using a French Drain to Remove Standing Water in Your Yard (video)
Danny Lipford: Jeanette asks, “What can I do to keep water from seeping into my basement when it rains?”
The main thing you need to do to keep that water from sneaking into your basement is to make sure that none of the rain water will be allowed to gather around the foundation.
Now, guttering is a great way to go, bring the downspout down, and maybe extend the downspout like these homeowners have done to move the water further away from the foundation. But they got a little more work to do here, because the border grass like this—or if you have any type of edging—will serve as a dam. And then during heavy rains, it’ll still push that water against the foundation. Sooner or later, it will find its way in the basement.
Now, another thing that they’ve done here that’s a great idea. They’re in the process of adding some fill dirt that will divert that water and keep it from ponding in this area.
Now, once they get their mulch back in place, and a few little plants here and there, you’ll never know any work has taken place, other than no water in basement.
Videos You May Like
|Problems with Yard Drainage||Flexible Landscape Drainage Pipe||Using a French Drain to Remove Standin...||Basement Renovation Tips for Your Home|