Whether to Use a Brush or Roller When Painting Paneling

What’s the best way to paint wall paneling, with a brush or a roller? -Ella

Hi Ella,
If the grooves in the paneling are deep, it’s best to use both a brush and roller when painting wall paneling. Start by painting the grooves with a 1” wide brush, then roll the paneling using a short (1/4”) nap roller.

If the paneling has very shallow grooves, you may be able to use a roller alone. It might require a bit longer nap on the roller to get down in the grooves, however, which will give the surface a more textured look.

Be sure to lightly sand the paneling before painting to dull any gloss on the finish. After wiping off any sanding dust with a damp rag, apply a coat of stain blocking primer, followed by two coats of wall paint.

Good luck with your project,


Further Information


Please Leave a Comment

2 Comments on “Whether to Use a Brush or Roller When Painting Paneling”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

  • Mary Says:
    March 28th, 2017 at 4:54 pm

    What nap length roller should I use to get texture on paneling with shallow grooves? Ive also heard you can joint compound all over for an all over textured effect with no lines. What do you think? Thank you!

  • susan schiro Says:
    January 20th, 2017 at 3:44 pm

    We live in a very dated mobile home, everything is formica and paneling. I’m afraid to mess up the walls….

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.

 characters available

Whether to Use a Brush or Roller When Painting Paneling