- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
Considerations When Installing Spray Foam Attic InsulationBy: Danny Lipford
What are the advantages and things to consider when sealing the attic of a house with spray foam insulation? -Mike
The biggest advantage to applying spray foam insulation to the rafters in your attic is that you’ll be creating a more energy efficient envelope around your home, which means you’ll be spending a lot less energy and dollars on heating and cooling.
However, you’ll need to take into consideration:
- Cost: Spray foam insulation isn’t a DIY project and it’s a very expensive upgrade. Unless you plan on being in your home for many years, adding more fiberglass or cellulose insulation may be more cost effective.
- Existing Insulation: Any insulation between the ceiling and the attic will need to be removed when installing spray foam insulation on the rafters.
- Attic Ventilation: Any gable, soffit, louver, or power vents in the attic will need to be removed or sealed shut, since the entire attic area will be turned into conditioned space.
- Windows: A well-insulated and sealed attic will have only minimal effect if you still have leaky, single-pane windows.
Good luck with your project,
- Insulation R-Value (article)
- Foam Insulation Increases Energy Efficiency in Your Home (video)
Please Leave a Comment
5 Comments on “Considerations When Installing Spray Foam Attic Insulation”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2014 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)