- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
DIY Faux Granite Finish for Kitchen CountertopsBy: Danny Lipford
If you’re tired of your old plastic laminate kitchen countertops but don’t want the expense of replacing them with stone, Giani Granite Paint for Countertops might be just the answer. The DIY friendly, faux granite painting kit can make almost any surface—from plastic laminate and solid surface countertops to mantels and tabletops—look like granite.
The low odor, water-based polymer resin is made from automotive grade polymers for added durability. The kit retails for under $40 and comes with almost everything you need to finish 16 feet of countertop.
Giani Granite Paint for Countertops:
- For use on plastic laminate, solid surface, primed cultured marble, wood, primed drywall, primed acrylic or fiberglass shower stall walls, mantels, tabletops.
- Can’t be used on shower stall floors, bathtubs, sinks, other surfaces that will be submerged in water.
- Available in Sicilian Sand, Bombay Black, and Jet Black.
- black primer
- clear topcoat
- foam brush
- black practice poster paper
- instructional DVD
- printed instructions
- Clean countertop and backsplash with degreaser.
- Patch any gouges or nicks and sand smooth.
- Mask off walls, sink, and cabinets with painter’s tape.
- Apply black primer using a foam brush to trim and roller for main surface.
- Allow primer to dry for six hours.
- Apply minerals to the primed surface using the included sponge.
- Allow minerals to dry for two hours.
- Lightly sand off any rough spots with fine (320 grit) sandpaper.
- Apply clear topcoat with roller and brush.
- Allow topcoat dry for eight hours.
- Lightly sand off rough spots.
- Apply second coat of clear topcoat.
- Allow to cure for 48 hours before using.
Watch Danny’s CBS Early Show video:
More information, including ordering online, is available at Giani Granite Paint for Countertops.
- How to Redo Giani Faux Granite Countertop Finish (article)
- Rust-Oleum Countertop Coating for Plastic Laminate (video)
- How to Hide or Repair Scratches in Plastic Laminate Countertops (article)
- Realistic Granite Plastic Laminate (video)
Please Leave a Comment
68 Comments on “DIY Faux Granite Finish for Kitchen Countertops”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2014 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)