Homemade Swimming Pool Line Antifreeze

“Pool winterizing antifreeze has gotten pricey. Is there a way I can make my own antifreeze for my pool lines? My contractor and I put the main lines below the frost line as a preventative measure.” -Kurt

At anywhere from $15 to $30 per gallon, pool antifreeze can certainly get pricey, especially if you have long supply lines.

Pool antifreeze is generally a propylene glycol solution, sometimes mixed with alcohol or other additives and sometimes just diluted with water. Propylene glycol can be purchased in bulk – one source I found was The Chemistry Store. If you decide to make your own solution, I would recommend getting some sound advice from a chemist or pool specialist regarding the correct proportions and type of water (distilled, etc.) that should be used, and also in proper storage and disposal of propylene glycol.

Pool line antifreeze will eventually end up in your pool water. Don’t try to cut corners by substituting auto antifreeze or any product with ethylene glycol – even at low concentrations, the ethylene glycol reacts with pool chlorine to form toxic chlorinated hydrocarbons in the water.

Julie

7 Comments on “Homemade Swimming Pool Line Antifreeze”

1. Pooltech Says:
    November 10th, 2008 at 11:00 am

We have pool antifreeze for $8.74 a gal everyday http://www.poolcenter.com/chemicals_poolstor_winter_kits.htm
    Don’t forget to bookmark the worlds first online community for pool owners http://community.poolcenter.com/ It has blogs, repair help , message boards, pool wiki of definitions, product reviews, videos, and pool groups. Your one stop place for pool help . Dive into the community pool today!!!!

2. lindsey wellman Says:
    February 11th, 2009 at 7:40 am

I have an inground pool and did all as i should as far as closing my pool for winter and just using pool antifreeze but one of the lines plugs came out and drained all the antifreeze directly into my pool. What should I do ? Should I drain my pool and refill for summer?

Thanks
    Lindsey

3. Official Comment:

Julie Day Says:
    February 12th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Swimming pool antifreeze is supposed to be nontoxic, and many people just circulate it into the pool water in the spring anyway.

4. Kevin Says:
    February 20th, 2009 at 9:29 am

Can you reclaim used antifreeze from in-ground pool lines and use it the next winter?
    Thanks>
    Kevin

5. Spabad Says:
    May 18th, 2009 at 7:17 am

hey kevin, i tried it was not possible

6. gwen jurisch Says:
    July 3rd, 2009 at 6:17 am

For years, living in Colorado, I have used RV antifreeze (non-toxic, the pink stuff)and just run it thru the jet into the skimmer (after of course, closing all valves & draining the pump). I have never had any problems. This costs me 1 to 1 1/2 gallons at approx. $3 per gallon…Cheap, easy and very effective!

7. Jessie Says:
    March 30th, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Help! My husband winterized our hot tub and used auto antifreeze! Does this mean we shouldn’t/can’t use our hot tub anymore?