Ask Danny

How to Glue Plastic

What kind of glue should I use to repair plastic figurines? -Linda

Hi Linda,
Several common glues work well on many types of rigid plastic, including two-part epoxy and instant glue (cyanoacrylate). In addition there are two-part acrylic glues made just for gluing plastic, such as Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder and Super Glue Plastic Fusion, but neither are recommended for gluing polyethylene and polypropylene plastic.

Another option is a two-part instant glue, Loctite Plastics Bonding System, that’s made to work with most all plastics, including polyethylene and polypropylene.

Some glues dry or age to a light yellow color, so make sure to have a good fit between the pieces and wipe off any excess. Hold the pieces in place until into the glue sets, or use rubber bands, clothes pins, spring clamps, or modeling clay to hold the parts until the glue dries.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

7 Comments on “How to Glue Plastic”

1. Urvi Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 11:44 am

I have plastic foot prints of Dinosaur. I want to glue them to clost door to give effect of dino went in to the closet.

What is the best way glue them on wooden door? I want to make sure that it will not cost me closet door replacement after few yrs when he is out of dinos and room needs to be redone with the next theme or so…

2. Fred Conwell Says:
    October 5th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

How can I bond baggage fabric? The stuff is a common plastic “woven” material something like nylon. I’ve tried every adhesive I have with no success. If I knew what kind of plastic it is, I could make some headway.

3. Dave Says:
    December 1st, 2011 at 9:05 am

What type of glue or epoxy should I use when I am gluing ridge foam to the inside of a large plastic box? I have tried Loctite Power Grip, Dap Strong Stick. Can you help me?

4. Jeam Says:
    December 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What type of glue can I use for sticking the inside seal around my freezer

5. Casey Says:
    July 12th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I am not finding any type of adhesive of bonding agent to seal vinyl together as in a raft even the boxer glue that comes in a repair kit does not work on “double polished clear vinyl” any suggestions. It has to be waterproof I’m am trying to make a prototype for my invention. Thank you

6. Alice Says:
    September 14th, 2014 at 8:18 am

What can I use to attach christmas lights to the back of a velvet picture with wallboard backing, mine keep coming off.

7. jim Says:
    December 5th, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I had hit my mail box with my side view mirror and my mirror had fell off it was A clean break it is plastic 2005 honda civic so what I did is I used crazy glue as A tempory fix but I would like to use something stonger because I am afraid to run my car thru a car wash now with that mirror just being held on by crazy glue I am open for suggestions on what else I should use for A better bond

Click to check out all our great giveaways!