How to Grow Flowering Kalanchoe

kalanchoe

Flowering kalanchoes are staples of the holiday and florist trade, with their cheery clusters of blooms on compact, upright plants sure to brighten your windowsill. Like poinsettias and holiday cactus, kalanchoes bloom in response to the length of daylight, so they can be encouraged to bloom even during the darkest days of winter.

If you received a flowering kalanchoe as a gift this year, or if you couldn’t resist the bright midwinter color, here are some tips for keeping your plant healthy and blooming for years to come.

About Kalanchoe

Everyone pronounces it differently (and nobody knows exactly who’s right), but we’ve all seen the colorful, happy flower clusters of Kalanchoe blossfeldana, or flowering Kalanchoe. A cousin to the Jade plant, flowering Kalanchoe is a fairly low-maintenance succulent house plant.

kalanchoeFlower heads on kalanchoe blossom in bright oranges, pinks, yellow, red, and white on a compact, upright plant about 6-12 inches tall. The flowers last several months, and the green plants are pretty year-round.

K. blossfeldana is the most common variety of kalanchoe, but there are many varieties to choose from, including pendant (hanging) varieties and nonflowering varieties grown for their unique foliage. All kalanchoes have the same growing requirements.

Kalanchoe Growing Tips

Kalanchoes are pretty low-maintenance plants, thriving in the low humidity of winter households. Choose Kalanchoe plants that have plenty of unopened flower buds, rather than ones in full bloom, and be sure to give them:

• Light: Kalanches need lots of light, preferably a south-facing window in winter and bright indirect light (or east/west window) in summer. If your Kalanchoe plant is looking leggy and thin, it probably isn’t getting enough light.
  • Soil: Kalanchoe plants do best in a well-draining potting mix designed for cacti and succulents, or stir in plenty of perlite or sand to improve drainage.
  • Temperature: Kalanchoes do fine in normal household conditions, but they need to be kept away from drafts. Keep your kalanchoe above 50°F.
  • kalanchoe

• Water: Over-watering is the main killer of kalanchoes! Allow your kalanchoe to get dry between waterings. Then water thoroughly until it runs out the bottom, and immediately empty the drainage tray. Never leave the plant sitting in water.
  • Fertilizer: While your kalanchoe is blooming, feed it every few weeks with a balanced organic fertilizer.
  • Pots: Kalanchoes do well in clay pots, and they must have a drainage tray that can be emptied. They’re small plants that don’t often have to be repotted.
  • Summer care: You can put your kalanchoe outdoors in summer, but choose a spot sheltered from rain.
  • Propagation: Kalanchoes are easy to propagate by stem or leaf cuttings. Some varieties will put out plantlets that can be removed and potted.
  • Maintenance: Remove spent flowers to keep your kalanchoe looking neat. You may also want to wipe or gently spray them to remove dust.

kalanchoe

How to Make Kalanchoe Bloom

Many people treat kalanchoes as an annual, throwing them away after they finish blooming. Getting them to bloom again requires some discipline, but the fun part is that once you get the hang of it, you can make your kalanchoes bloom on cue! Here are some tips for getting your kalanchoe to bloom again:

• Flowering Depends on Light: Kalanchoes are photoperiodic, which means they bloom in response to the length of day. They naturally bloom in early spring. To force your plant to set flower buds requires six weeks of simulated winter lighting conditions.
  • Reduce Watering: Water half as often, or even less, during the six weeks.
  • Simulate Night: For six weeks, put your plant in complete darkness for 14 hours a day, and in bright light for 10 hours a day. You can bring it in and out of a closet, or use a cover, to achieve full darkness. After six weeks or so, when you see flower buds forming, you can bring your plant back out into normal light conditions and resume watering. For more tips about photoperiodic blooming, check out our articles on how to grow poinsettias and holiday cactus.

13 Comments on “How to Grow Flowering Kalanchoe”

1. Eleanor DeLuca Says:
    March 9th, 2013 at 11:01 am

I will try your advice for forcing flowers and hope I am successful. Actually I was looking for info about the kalanchoe that I’ve had since last year. It is very healthy and has gotten bigger but the main stem hasn’t gotten thicker and I’m afraid it won’t support the top heavy plant. Also, there seems to be rootl-like growth coming from the spot where the lst stem comes out of the main stem and in various other spots where stems come out of the main stem.
    I hope we can help my kalanchoe. Thank you

2. Sheryl Carmack Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:42 am

My question is that I have several big Kalanchoes and the shoots are really tall and in full beautiful blooms all over; now the question is do I cut the shoot down to the bottom or just under the bloom??

Thanks
    S.Carmack

3. SUSIE MARCY Says:
    December 26th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Have been growing my pink Kalanchoe for years in my kitchen window, facing West. It blooms around Christmas and later I trim it back and it blooms again in the summer. Since it sits above the sink, I just give it a “drink” once in awhile. Really enjoy the pretty blooms in the kitchen. Fun and easy to grow and take care of the way I have learned to do. They are fun and lovely. S. Marcy

4. Linda Says:
    April 30th, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Can I plant kalanchoes on my deck and put them in wooden planters across the banasters? thanks

5. Judy Says:
    June 2nd, 2014 at 7:13 am

I have been given a small Kalanchoe in a pot but can’t grow plants indoors because of allergies. I live in southeastern Australia (cool winters, very hot summers) and would like to keep it outdoors. Is it OK to plant it in the garden, or should I leave it in a pot? My entire courtyard is extremely wind-exposed.

6. VINNY POLIZZOTTO Says:
    September 14th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I HAVE A KALANCHOE PLANT IN MY BATHROOM ON A GLASS BLOCK WINDOW WHICH GROWS AND GROWS BUT HAS NOT PRODUCED ANY FLOWERS. I HAVE TRIMMED IT ONCE AND KEEPS GROWING. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

7. Lyle Says:
    September 14th, 2014 at 4:01 pm

My wife and I enjoy Danny’s show. I’m pleased to now be able to use his website. We live in SOCAL and at the moment it is 105 degrees. About a month ago we planted in the ground 3 Kalanchoes along the driveway. This heat doesn’t seem to faze them at all. We want to plant the Kalachoes along the sidewalk in a 1 foot strip next to the picket fence. How close should we plant along this 50 foot strip? What is the plants growing radius? Will they overgrow onto the sidewalk? This strip gets the full afternoon sun.

8. Judy Says:
    October 9th, 2014 at 3:22 pm

My Kalanchoe has grown twice in size on the deck and I now have it inside. The leaves are beautiful green but have some white/tan little things on them looks like a miniature seed but need to know if it is a bug or disease. can someone help me…thanks Judy from CT

9. SUDIE O. GOODMAN Says:
    October 27th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Please put me on your e-mail list. Thank you for great instructions on successful tips for growing great plants.

10. Official Comment:

October 27th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hi Sudie,
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I have added your email address to our monthly newsletter. You should receive the first one on November 1st.

11. judy elsner Says:
    November 5th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I received this plant on feb.2014. I repotted into a clay potwith drainage and put on my front porch facing west.The plant grew beautufullyand is very pretty green. How do I get it to bloom? should Im bring it indoors now? the temp is in the 30′s in the early morning, 60 nd 70 during day. How do I know when to repot it. thanks for any help you can give me. judy elsner

12. Irene Tschirpig Says:
    November 12th, 2014 at 12:33 am

Are kalanchoe only indoor or can u plant in the garden

13. Joe Monotoya Says:
    November 14th, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Where can I buy a Kalanchoe plant? Home depo does not have it. I am also looking for LANTANA plants.