How to Grow Hibiscus

Tropical hibiscus makes a great summer container plant.

The large, colorful blossoms of Hibiscus (Hibiscus sp.) create an eye-catching display during summer, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies and providing the look of a tropical paradise, no matter what the variety. Hibiscus plants are members of the Mallow family, and there are many different species that are used in gardening, agriculture, and manufacturing.

To grow hibiscus in your home garden, it’s important to know the three main types of plants:

• Tropical hibiscus
  • Hardy perennial hibiscus
  • Hardy shrub hibiscus

Here are some tips for growing and caring for all three.

Tropical Hibiscus

With its sturdy shape and colorful blossoms, tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) is a popular choice for container plants and tropical gardens. It grows as a small shrub or tree, with stiff woody stems and thick, glossy, dark green leaves.

Blossoms are usually 3”- 6” in diameter and come in many different colors and varieties including red, orange, yellow, salmon-pink, multicolored, and even double blossoms.

How to Grow Tropical Hibiscus

• Climate: Can be grown year round in zones 9-10 but will not survive frost or heavy freeze. Cooler zones (8 and lower) usually grow it as an annual, or in containers that can be brought indoors during cold weather.
  • Light: Full sun.
  • Soil: Rich and well-draining. Container-grown plants are often grown in a soilless potting medium to prevent compaction. Keep moist, but don’t let it stand in water.
  • Fertilizer: Tropical hibiscus blooms on new growth, so it benefits from regular feeding with a balanced, organic, liquid fertilizer.
  • Flowers: Blooms spring through fall, but flowering may slow in the heat of midsummer.

To keep your tropical hibiscus over the winter, bring it indoors before night temperatures fall into the 40s F. Keep in a cool, bright spot (55°-70° F). Reduce, but don’t discontinue, watering. Your plant may lose some leaves as it adjusts to the change.

A few weeks before moving outdoors in the spring, give your hibiscus a rather heavy pruning – shortening leggy stems and removing rubbing branches. Remove the top couple of inches of soil and replace with fresh compost. Add some organic fertilizer, and your plant will be well on its way to a spring growth spurt!

Some varieties of tropical hibiscus overwinter better than others. If yours doesn’t bloom well the second year, you may want to consider replacing it.

Hardy Perennial Hibiscus

If you look at your local garden center for winter-hardy hibiscus, chances are you’ll find the enormous dinner-plate-sized blossoms of Hibiscus moscheutos. Commonly called Rose Mallow or Swamp Mallow, this plant is an herbaceous perennial, which means it will die completely back to the ground in the winter then sprout anew in the spring.

Compared to tropical hibiscus, the stems and heart-shaped leaves of hardy hibiscus are much softer, dull green, and tender. Blossoms are usually flat and large and the texture of tissue paper. They are available in colors of red, pink, and white.

How to Grow Hardy Perennial Hibiscus

• Climate: Hardy to Zone 4. Does not transplant very well, so choose your location carefully.
  • Light: Full Sun.
  • Soil: Well-draining and rich. Loves water and should remain moist in summer. Grows naturally near ditches and swamps. During the winter, however, the roots should not be soggy. Add mulch to hold in moisture and prevent damage from late spring frosts.
  • Fertilizer: Hardy hibiscus is a heavy feeder. Organic fertilizers with plenty of phosphorus will encourage blooms.
  • Flowers: Blooms in July and August. Each flower is short-lived, but there are plenty more to come.

In the fall or late winter, cut back the dead stems of hardy hibiscus to near ground level. Compared to other perennials, this plant can be a little late to sprout in the spring, but by midsummer it will be sprawling several feet high. Stake long stems if needed.

In addition to Hibiscus moscheutos, other perennial hibiscus species include the slender petals of Scarlet Hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus) and the ruffled pink blossoms of Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis). If you live near water, try growing the marsh-loving Giant Rose Mallow (Hibiscus grandiflora).

Hardy Hibiscus Shrubs: Althea or Rose of Sharon

Last, but certainly not least, we come to the larger shrubs and trees known more commonly as Althea or Rose-of-Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus). These carefree plants brighten up any landscape and are a must-have for hummingbird and butterfly gardens. The blooms are smaller than its tropical cousin, but it has a sustained, prolific bloom period in mid to late summer.

Hibiscus syriacus is a deciduous shrub or small tree, growing up to 10 feet tall and wide, with dark green foliage and flowers in shades of pink, blue, lavender, and white.

How to Grow Hardy Hibiscus Shrubs

• Climate: Grown in zones 5-9. Used as a border or specimen shrub. Loses its leaves in winter. Upright shape, fairly dense, with a coarse texture.
  • Light: Full sun, with a little afternoon shade in hotter climates.
  • Soil: Rich and well-draining, although it’s pretty adaptable to a range of growing conditions.
  • Fertilizer: Average water and nutrient needs. Generally carefree.
  • Flowers: A rapid grower that can be pruned heavily in the early spring to encourage larger blossoms. May self-seed and sprout around the base.

White Althea

The website floridata.com has excellent specific growing instructions for many varieties of hardy hibiscus including:

More information about the many varieties of tropical hibiscus can be found at www.trop-hibiscus.com.

28 Comments on “How to Grow Hibiscus”

1. Kate Says:
    August 24th, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Squirrels apparently love to eat Hibiscus leaves. So beware, they will strip the plant bare. Chili powder or hot sauce sprinkled on the leaves seems to be a temporary fix.

2. Bankz Says:
    November 3rd, 2009 at 10:54 am

thanks for sharing the good information about hibiscus.
    your hibiscus pics is very beautiful and also your website too. I like the hibiscus flowers so much.

3. Hilda Hunt Says:
    May 20th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

My rose of Sharon half is dead the other half green and alive. What’s going on? Is the rose of Sharon a short lived tree?

4. Don Robinson Says:
    May 30th, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I have just purcased a “Bahama Bay” Hibiscus Plant in a 1 gal. container and planning on planting in the ground.

When it flowers out,and the bloom falls off leaving the empty pod do you cut pod off from the stem or does create a new flower in empty pod.

5. Official Comment:

Julie Day Says:
    August 3rd, 2010 at 8:15 am

Don, you need to cut off the empty pod – it won’t form a new flower.

Hilda, Rose of Sharon usually lives quite a while. I’d cut off the dead portion and see if the tree can regain its shape. If it’s diseased, cutting off the dead part might keep it from killing the whole tree. Can you see any bark or leaf damage that might indicate a disease or insect problem?

6. Lisa H Says:
    May 30th, 2011 at 9:06 am

I purchased a rose of sharon tree (dormant) and am concerned about the site that I was considering. I live in zone 4 (on the shore of Lake Superior) and it stated that it can be planted in full to partial sun. I would have the latter if I plant in front yard as a specimen. Problem is this spot is next to a driveway where snow gets piled up 3-4 feet. Will a new planting survive the first winter if I stake the trunk well and protect with chicken wire and mulch? Should I opt for a sunnier location in my back yard?

7. carol w. Says:
    July 2nd, 2011 at 9:01 am

Help! After it bloomed, the leaves on my beautiful potted topiary hibiscus are turning yellow and the entire tree is wilting–and there has been no change in its TLC or its location. What can I do to save this pretty plant?

8. Chris Langston Says:
    July 11th, 2011 at 6:21 am

My Question is the same as Carol W. I have a tropical H that I have indoors. I have watered but portion of the plant are dying! What might I do to save this?

9. denise Says:
    July 24th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I was wondering why my giant hibiscus limbs are growing almost on the ground instead of upright?? Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you

10. Official Comment:

July 27th, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hi Carol and Chris,
    Julie Day has answered your questions in her article Problem with Tropical Hibiscus Leaves Turning Yellow. Hope that helps, and thanks for the question!

11. LESLEY Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I HAVE A TURTLE IN MY BACKYARD THAT LIKES TO EAT THE FALLEN FLOWERS OFF MY ALTHEA PLANT. SHE LOVES THEM AND COMES EVERY AFTERNOON FOR A SNACK OF 4 OR 5 FLOWERS.

12. Herman Johnson Says:
    January 30th, 2012 at 8:57 am

My Althea produces beautiful buds, but they will not open. they turn brown and fall off.
    what can I do to stop this ?

13. Ziona Kopelovich Says:
    April 16th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I have several beautiful hibuscus plants. Earlier today I found that one major branch that starts at the root was sawed off, presumably by an animal. I found the branch with the beautiful blooms on the ground, and the flowers torm off from it. There were marks on the branch near the cut that looked like teeth marks, but the cut itself was so straight, like someone used a sharp instrument to cut it. I’m baffled. I’m worried that whatever the creature, it would attack the rest of my plants (about 13 altogether). What animal could be the culprit and how do I get rid of it?

14. Liz Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I love hibiscus plants i just planted two in some pots outside on my porch and i noticed that before i planted them the flowers had bloomed and a couple of hours after i planted them the flowers shrivled up!! :(
    Did i do something wrong when i planted them?

15. catherine vanhorn Says:
    May 19th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I BOUGHT HIBISCUS FOR MY NEICE,S BIRTHDAY DAWN MC,LAUGHLIN SHE JUST MOVED IN A NEW HOUSE HOPE SHE LIKE,S IT PIRTTY ORANGE..
    MAY 20 2012

16. Louann W. Says:
    June 23rd, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I transplanted a plant from my parents yard that I think is an Althea. I have had it for several years but it has not grown much. Many of the leaves turn yellow & fall off. In past summers, the blooms have formed but did not open. What can I do to have a healthier plant?

17. Nancy Muzzy Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 12:37 pm

My potted hibiscus tree is growing on front porch with dark green leaves, but doesn’t bloom. Why? I fertilize with Miracle Gro.

18. boops Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Nancy-sounds like not enough sun and/or water or it is root bound in the pot.
    I came home today to find my Lord Baltimore, 7 foot tall in full bloom destroyed by something. The main stem was bent in half. It was fine this AM and it is staked up to 5 feet. The top 2 feet, where most of the flowers are was bent in half along with some lower stems.I can’t imagine a squirrel doing this, because it would have attacked my potted one first. I am so angry, I wait all spring for it to bloom, I had to cut it off and I put it in water, but the rest of the buds probably won’t open.

19. Mary Says:
    August 13th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

In your photo under Hardy Perennial Hibiscus the leaves are being eaten away – mine has the same exact problem – the leaves look skeletal but the flowers bloom day after day (closing and dying each day, I deadhead them and remove the debris). What is the bug eating the leaves? I’ve tried homemade soap/spice remedies but nothing seems to help.

20. Stan Ostrander Says:
    October 7th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

My perennial Hibiscus( lady Gladmore) or something similar reached aht. of 7+ ft. It is rather stalky and has smaller leaves than my tropical Hibiscus. Is something wrong? Also the leaves are more scattered.

21. Ray Krebs Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I live in Ohio and have a hibiscus tree that I bring indoors every winter, it is about 8 years old. I place it in my basement in front of a sliding door so it gets a good amount of daylight. It blooms all winter long, it is unbelievable. The problem is that when I plant it outdoors in spring, usually early May, it doesn’t bloom until late July or early August. Is it meant to bloom all year long? Or should I be doing something to stop it from blooming in winter months, so it blooms more in Summer? Thank you.

22. Priscilla Frierson Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I live in nashville, Tennessee and I put my trees in big pots and keep them moist. I have four pink hibiscus trees and the winter I move them all in the basement. I see budding and some leaves. This is the first time I grown them. I love them and the big blooms. I want to sit them out on the patio, but the weather here is sometime rain or sun or snow. Can I sit them out in the morning and bring them back in before dark. The weather at night get 37 dg

23. Starr Quirt Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I am a zone 4 in southern Minnesota and want to try blue Rose of Sharon here. I saw Lisa posted from Lake Superior area and am curious if they actually survived. I’ve been able to do zone 5 wisteria and others if I treat them like a rose bush….cover with leaves and in mesh all winter plus mulch…and the wisteria vines go nuts. Just stunning. But I’m reluctant with even a “more weed than a shrub” hibiscus. Can anyone advise or tell me their zone 4 or less experience? I’m aquirt1@comcast.net if anyone can advise me on this stunning hibiscus.

24. Gloria Hume Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:32 am

My Hardy Hibiscus blooms great for one month. Then all of a sudden the buds turn brown and don’t open. What is causing this?

25. tulsi Says:
    May 9th, 2014 at 4:35 am

Really it is interesting to know the variety of hibiscus especially about hibiscus shrub. Your suggestion on how to plant is good. But how to do pesticides. I am living in India, Chennai – tropical area. In all the hibiscus Plant one kind of white insects or ant that I don’t know, which is spoilig the Plant. If any remedy let me know to the above mail. Earlier we used to see hibiscus plant every where with nice flowers. Due to this white insect, generally growth of hibiscus plant come down in all areas. What to do?

26. Fran Bergren Says:
    July 20th, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I just purchased the double red Althea bushes. We want to make a hedge out of them, but live in Iowa. Am afraid they won’t come back. The article says to plant them 10 ft apart but I don’t want to wait 10 yrs for them to fill in either. Menards has an awesome deal on them right now and was going to purchase more. What do you suggest?

27. Dilly Says:
    July 26th, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I have 3 hibiscus in my backyard that flower beautifully. This year one of them has much shorter stalks, but still big flowers. Some of the stalks bend over at the ground and grow sideways and flower along the ground level.l cut a stalk off the first time i saw this because i thought it might be a rodent or a disease, but it happened again with another stalk. This plant has less stalks and less height than the others so it shouldn’t need support, right? The taller 2 next to it do not have a problem. What causes this?

28. Helen Hoverson Says:
    July 28th, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I just purchased 2 luna red hardy hibiscus. The problem is that we are going to have 100º-104º temperatures over the next week. Should I wait to put them in the ground? Can I keep them in their pots for a few days? Anxiously waiting. Thanks.