How to Install a Phone Jack

Telephone jacks can be either flush or surface mounted, so be sure to buy a replacement jack that fits your particular setup.

flush and surface mounuted phone jacks

While phone lines are low in voltage, they carry enough current when they ring to give a mild shock, so it’s a good idea to disconnect the line before working on it. Also, never work on a phone line during a thunderstorm, since lightning can travel down the wire causing serious injury.

To disconnect the line, find the telephone interface box which is usually mounted on an outside wall where the phone lines runs into your house.

telephone interface box

Open the customer access panel and unplug the test jack.

removing wires from phone box

On older interface boxes without a test jack, unscrew the terminals and detach the wires, remembering which one went on which terminal.

older phone wire box

If the interface box isn’t easily accessible, take another phone on the same line off the hook to prevent it from ringing while working on it.

After checking to be sure the line you’re working on has no dial tone, unplug the phone from the jack. Remove the jack from the wall, noting which colored wires are hooked up to the terminals so you can match them to the new one.

removing phone jack from wall

While only two wires are required for a phone to work, the cable usually contains four or more to provide for additional lines or in case one line should fail. These are color coded with red and green normally used for the first line, yellow and black for the second, and blue and white for the third.

red green yellow and black phone wires

After removing the wires from the old jack, attach them to the new one. If the stripped ends of the wires appear discolored or brittle, cut off the damaged section and strip the outer insulation around the line back a couple of inches, being careful not to nick the wires.

stripping phone wire

Using a utility knife, cut back ½” to ¾” of the insulation around each wire.

trimming phone wire insulation

Bend the exposed end of the wire into a “U” shape with needle nosed pliers.

bending phone wire with pliers

Slip the wire over the corresponding terminal on the new jack so it wraps around the terminal in a clockwise direction.

slipping phone wire on terminal

After tightening the terminal screws, attach the jack to the wall, reconnect the line at the interface box, and plug the phone back in.

For more information about working on phone lines, check out our articles on:

141 Comments on “How to Install a Phone Jack”

1. Mario Says:
    March 15th, 2008 at 11:57 am

I will like to add a new jack at different room where there is no previous line.
    Where to pick the line from?

2. Robert Says:
    March 16th, 2008 at 12:11 am

After yrs of being a central office installer it mice to see someone tell how to do it. Blue Orange Green Brown Slate how we tested and to drive the Forman mad we some times called SPLICE. Splices were a big NO NO!

Have A Safe Day

3. Admiral Ackbar Says:
    March 16th, 2008 at 1:15 am

Your quote:

“While only two wires are required for a phone to work, the line usually contain four or more to provide for additional lines or in case one line should fail.”

The term “line” is incorrect usage, the term should be “cable”.

A more accurate description would be …

While only two wires (1 pair) are required for a phone to work, the cable usually contains four or more wires to provide for additional lines or in case one wire should fail.

-Anonymous : we are legion

4. RustyBadger Says:
    March 16th, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Run from wherever the closest connection point is; a jack in the next room, for example. Basically, take the easiest route you can! It’s unlikely you possess the specialised tools that telephone installers use, such as 4-foot drill bits and so on, so keep it simple unless you have carpentry experience. It doesn’t matter where you draw the connection from- telephone circuits are wired in parallel.

If it’s not easy to get a wire from another phone jack to the new location, see if you can find a spot where one of the phone cables is accessible, and tap into it from there. Simply cut the cable, strip it back a few inches as described above, and rejoin the wires by twisting them together (red to red, green to green, and so on), along with the new ones you’re installing. If you have a soldering iron, solder the joint and tape it to prevent shorts; if you can’t solder it, at the very least wrap it well with electrical tape to keep exposure to the air at a minimum. (Air causes the joint to oxidise and eventually corrode.)

5. igpajo Says:
    March 16th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

I work for a cable company that does telephony as one of our services. If you’re asking how to add a new telephone jack in a room that has no phone jack, the easiest method is to run fresh Cat-3 or Cat-5 wiring to the room from the Network Interface Device (that’s the box mounted on the outside of your house, pictured above.) It’s probably easiest to run the wiring from the NID to the outlet. When you’re looking at the NID, notice how all the Red and Green wires run to one set of terminals. If the wiring is done properly, this is your Line 1. The other side is your Line 2, where the Yellow and Black lines run to. If you’re only wanting one number on the outlet, only concern yourself with connecting the red and green wires in the phone line to appropriate terminal. (Red to Red, Green to Green for Line one, Red to Yellow, Green to Black for Line two.) Tie them into the main terminals using the same methods above (loosen the screw, strip the wires back, wrap them clockwise around the screw, tighten the screw.) Then run your wiring around your house to the hole you drilled, stapling it neatly wherever you wish it to be run, and feed it through, allowing for a couple of extra feet. You’ll want a few inches pushed back into the space in the wall to allow for future maintenance. Then follow the above instructions to install the outlet.
    Hope that answers your question.

6. shad0w Says:
    March 16th, 2008 at 5:58 pm

i was looking for this a while back… nice but u didnt tell the arrangement of the wires.

7. Official Comment:

March 17th, 2008 at 10:21 am

Admiral Ackbar,
    Good point on the line/cable distinction, since each cable can contain several lines. I modified the article to make the distinction clear.
    Thanks.

8. Gloria Says:
    March 18th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I have only one telephone line, and 3 phones. 1 of my phones doesn’t have a dial-tone, but when I connect it into another jack it works, so figure it is the jack. Trying to replace the jack, I don’t know which wires to connect. I have Vonage and have disconnected the red & green wires outside to make Vonage work, per instructions from Vonage and it works fine. However, they don’t know anything about inside wiring. I have tried connecting the red and green (1 line), but that probably doesn’t work because the outside lines are disconnected, so can you tell me which ones I can connect to get a dial-tone? Thanks for your help!!

Gloria

9. Official Comment:

March 19th, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Gloria,
    If the jack worked since you switched to Vonage, connect the same wires to the new jack as were used before. If it stopped working when you switched over, then the line may not be connected properly to the Vonage router. It is also possible that there is a short in the line.

10. Bobbey Nelson Says:
    March 20th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

im putting in another jack from an exisint ing one i know put red to red green to green but my wire from phone co box dont have red its got yellow white orange green looks like brown then rest are white with blue marks on them does the brow take place og red

11. Dave Glazier Says:
    March 25th, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I’m living in an older house that was recently completely renovated and remodeled. When I had phone service connected today the AT&T guy found that the contractors had cut all the wires from the NID to the inside of the house, so I must wire new jacks from scratch from the NID.

Unfortunately I didn’t find this web page until after the installer had left. My question is that I know which pair of terminals in the NID is connected to the telephone pole, but I don’t know which terminal in the NID should be green and which should be red.

A) Does it matter?

B) If so, is there any easy way to check, say with a sensitive voltmeter? Or will I only get a dial tone if I get the orientation right and so I can make a guess and then simply swap them if I don’t?

Any insight would be most appreciated!

12. Michael Says:
    April 5th, 2008 at 8:55 am

OK I got one for you. I am trying to install a wall hanging phone and my house is new with all CAT5 wiring. The phone jack currently in the wall is again CAT5 and I cannot find a jack to hold a wall mounted phone that is CAT5. Any suggestions.

13. Pam Says:
    April 7th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

My kitchen phone jack was not working so I replaced it and it’s working but now the bedroom phone jack has stopped working. It worked up until I unscrewed the kitchen jack. I have not touched the bedroom jack at all. Any ideas? I have a sinking feeling that a short happened somewhere in the wall but if changing the bedroom jack is likely to work it’s easy enough to change but I don’t want to buy a new jack if it isn’t going to work.

Appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

14. matthew pallecone Says:
    April 8th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

i want to run a new jack and line to a room that has no jack. i know that green and red wires is all i use. the thing i don’t know is do i only connect the green and red to the jack itself what about all the other wires do i just leave them or connect them even thought my nid does not use these other wires.

15. paula goliday Says:
    April 22nd, 2008 at 3:07 pm

There is something in my basement ceilling having to do we the phone line, I live in the basement and would like to know how can I hook another phone jack to that line I have only one jack in the basement. Also. the people upstair can’t have asset to my phone because of the fact that they will make long distance phone calls on the phone.
    I would appriciate any help

16. Adam Says:
    April 24th, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I have yet to find a site that discusses the connection sequence for the wall jack. None. Strange. I’m looking at the back of the wall jack, is the Green wire on the left or the right for the two lower connections? It’s often red on the left. But I have looked at my modular plugs and telephone cables and need to take a poll. Some have the red wires on the right on the modular plugs, some on the left. It’s strange. Nothing really helpful to this detail. I took the voltage between red and green and get negative voltage. Is that normal or not? Where can I find the very basics? The voltage using the voltage meter between Tip and Ring or the Green and Red wires? And what to be concerned when the wall jacks may not be correct?

17. Dewi Says:
    April 27th, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I have a single phone line connected to two wall jacks – one in my bedroom and one in the living room. Both were working fine until I installed a new wall jack and face plate in the living room. I wired it exactly the same (red to red, green to green, etc.) but now only the bedroom jack works. I have a RJ11 tester that lights up when I plug it in but I don’t get a dial tone. I’ve swapped phones, cables, even re-installed the old wall jack but I no longer get a dial tone in the living room. Can anyone think of anything I’ve done or am overlooking now? Thanks in advance!

18. shawn Says:
    May 12th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

hey Dewi i have the exacate same problem if u figure it out before me can u email me at hockeysportsshawn@hotmail.com thanks

19. Pam Says:
    May 22nd, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Hi Dewi and Shawn,

Sounds like what happend to me. I have not found a solution in 2 months so I finally bought a long piece of phone line at Walmart and connected it to a dual connector on the one jack that was working then tacked it up along the ceiling to where the other (non working) jack is and just pluged the phone into the wire. It’s kind of ugly and the jack still doesn’t work but at least I can have a phone in the other room again.

20. Tom Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I have installed phone jack in all my homes with out any issues until I used Vonage. I decided to add lines in the garage, and basement, and started by tapping into an existing line matching color, but I do not get a dial tone!
    Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

21. Robert Says:
    May 29th, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Quick Question, Notice my phone is dead, just at one phone jack in the house, in doing some seaching (this is a second line)I see where the wire has gone bad. there is a red plastic piece which i believe should have 3 wires in it, and then another plastic piece which has two wires in it. I need to know the name of these plastice pieces or where i can buy them. this little wiring set up runs to the dead jack. opposite sides of the room. I believe where the mess is, was jsut the area where the cable guy brought the second line to the room, and then put the jack on the far side of the room. any help would be great.

22. Pat Says:
    June 7th, 2008 at 7:51 am

I have an older house, I recently had to disconnect my phone jack. It only has three black wires coming out of the wall and now I am unsure how to connect it to the back of the jack, any ideas?

23. Michelle Says:
    June 14th, 2008 at 8:04 am

I have a very old house that never had phone jacks installed. How do we add them ourselves?

24. G Witherspoon Says:
    June 16th, 2008 at 12:19 am

Pat, June 7th,08.Older house.Three wires look black but are probably dark brown. You need 2 of the 3 wires for the dialtone line.Cut off some of the insulation & look real closely to see if there is a colored thread. If yes. connect red to red & green to green. Cut the end off the yellow.If no, connect one wire to red & hold one of the oiher wires to green.If dialtone, connect wire.If no, try other wire.If dialtone,connect. If no,remove first wire connected & connect the two remaining wires. Should be dialtone. Check to see if dialing a 1 cuts off dialtone.If no, interchange the two connected wires & try 1 again.If ok ,you are finished.Some older Touch Tone phones did not have a polarity guard in them & the transistors are voltage polarity sensitive.GW

25. Stan Says:
    July 9th, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Have old house, tried replacing phone jack in kitchen and anything I do will not get phone to work. I have copper wiring, does that matter with newer phone jacks?

26. Beth Says:
    July 19th, 2008 at 10:31 am

I have a jack in a bedroom that I had another wire attached and went trough the wall into the living room to connect a Tivo (there was no jack there before) Last week I had trouble with my lines and the phone co came out and had to replace the outside box and lines. He checked my jacks and everything was working. Now I find that he cut the wire from the bedroom jack and now my Tivo jack is not working. How do I reattach the wire? The wire is visible from the jack, about 2in. The rest of the wire is under the carpet, which I could pull up.

27. Ron Newberry Says:
    July 22nd, 2008 at 10:38 am

I recently purchased a house and plugged a wall phone into the kitchen phone jack. I can receive calls but I cannot dial out. Is that likely to be a wiring problem in the jack or a phone problem?

Thanks,
    Ron

28. LaDonna Says:
    July 22nd, 2008 at 1:25 pm

OK-I have a phone jack in a room that used to have a differnt phone#-I got sattelite internet and had that line cut off-Now I want the jack to work with my primary
    phone#- The jack has black/yellow wires connected from the wall. REd and green are screwed on but come out of the jack itself- This jack I believe was used with my primary # before. There were 2 red and 2 green wires coming out of the wall wire capped together. Cut one of those and lost primary dial tone. Figured they were looped somehow and wirenutted them back together to get my phone working- I assume that one of these 4 wire strands are my primary line? Do I hook up all the reds/green to their corresponding color in the jack and go-OR do I have to do something at the outside box. (I have already figured out which connection outside is the working line.) Thanks!!!
    I am pulling my hair out-Normally I do not get stumped.

29. Jolene Says:
    July 27th, 2008 at 8:57 am

I am changing the phone jacks in my bedrooms and I am not sure which color of wires to connect to the red, green, black and yellow wires of the new phone jacks. The wires inside my wall are blue, white with blue stripe, orange and white with orange stripe.

I connected blue to red, white with blue stripe to green, orange to black, white with orange stripe to yellow like I saw the phone jack in the kitchen (which works) is connected, but the bedroom phone jacks do not work with this setup. How can I make these lines work? Thank you for your help.

30. G.Witherspoon Says:
    July 29th, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Hi Ladonna,Connect the 2 red wires to the red on the jk& connect the 2 green wires to the green on the jk.If you had pay per view before you required a phone line for billing purposes.The middle 2 contacts are line 1. The outer 2 are line 2.

31. G.Witherspoon Says:
    July 29th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Hello Danny,Installing a phone jack.You have a very good article on the subject.I would like to add some additional information.In one photo ,4 wire r,gn,y,bk are shown.This type wiring is only spirled& subject to noise,crosstalk & etc.CAT3, 4 twisted pairs is better,but CAT5, 4 twisted pairs is the best for communications.Electricians are running this wire in new homes.They go from jk to jk to jk &etc. There are no records nor are the cables marked in,out at each jk.To wire a home properly,only home runs should be used(direct from each jk to Dmark. Uses more cable,but jks do go bad.)Picture a water bed in front of jk that went bad where all jks are wired from one to the next &etc.Your phone is out of service & you have to get to that jk to clear the trouble.Also, to me ,any wire that is spirled I consider as thermostat wire whether4,6 or 8 wires. This is not suitable for communications & really should not be sold as such. I am retired Bell.

32. beachbum Says:
    August 2nd, 2008 at 11:55 am

I would like to install a 2-line phone in my computer room and the main phone comes into the house in the living room …how do I check if there can be 2 lines available in my computer room?…Also, there is a line that goes to my upstairs bedroom, but it is an old plug with prongs, like in the 60′s…can this be easily changed to the ” jack-type”?

33. Rachel Says:
    August 6th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I live in a very old apartment. Recently got phone service and DSL. The phone had a lot of static and the internet was in and out. Tried replacing the jack and discovered 8 wires coming out of the wall…anybody know what to do with these or what the winning combination is for connecting them to the jack?

34. Geoff R Says:
    August 12th, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Hello All,

We just moved into a house and have some old phone lines from a phone company we don’t use, that we would like to remove as they are just an eyesore. Removing the whole cable out of the wall will be a struggle as the lines were put in many years ago and go into the depth of the sealed walls will be more trouble than it is worth. I have removed the front panel of the phone jack and now have three exposed wires. Is it safe for me to seal those wires in the hole they come from or should I have something around the exposed wires and then seal them?

35. Mimi Says:
    August 14th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Wall phone mount problem – cable colors do not match. Coming form the wall I have a light blue, orange, white with blue stripe and white. What colors do I connect to these?I have tried blue to red, white with blue band to green, orange to yellow and white to black. It does not work. Please help. Thanks

36. Official Comment:

August 15th, 2008 at 9:53 am

Hi Mimi,
    The color of the wires isn’t important, it’s just a way to tell which wires were used at the telephone interface box. If the line in question is working, you should be able to find the right combination using trial and error, since there are only six possible combinations for the four wires, times two when you take into account reversing each set of wires (making a total of 12 combinations).
    If that doesn’t work, try opening up the interface box to see which color wires were used. If you’re not sure which cable goes to which phone, you can disconnect the wires one at a time (checking to see if a phone stops working after you disconnect each one) until you’ve identified the line in question. If the cable runs directly to your extension, you’ll use the same colors as are hooked up at the interface box.
    There could be a short in one of the wires, in which case you would need to try hooking up the two other wires in the cable at the box and at the jack. If that doesn’t work, I would replace the cable.
    Good luck!

37. John C Says:
    August 30th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Here’s the Bell color code:
    If you have the old fashioned Bell (quad) wire, the color code is Green-Red-Black-Yellow. Green and Red are used for line 1, Black Yellow for line 2. That’s standard, although I know some techs who have reversed the 2nd pair as Yellow-Black. If you are using this cable (and the only reason you should is if you are in an older home and you are reusing the cable this is the way to go.)

Most new installations use cat 3 or cat 5 cable. (BTW, use cat 5 for all new phone/ data wiring. It doesn’t matter at all for phone, but if you are installing the line for data purposes, Cat 5 is better and the longer the distance from the network interface to the phone/computer location, the more important this is.)

Typically, this is a 6 pr cable. The colors are mated–a solid color with a white stripe and a white cable that is striped in that color. This is good for the first 5 pairs, the 6th pair starts the system in red. (See my chart below.)

Here is the layout:

white/blue —blue/white
    white/orange — orange/white
    white/green —green/white
    white/brown —brown/white
    white/slate (grey) —slate/white
    red/blue —–blue/red

Should you have to mate the old bell cable to the system above, this is how it should look–

White/blue—green
    Blue/white —red
    White/orange — black
    Orange/white– yellow

Of course, you should check to make sure that the wires in your installation, match up, but if they followed Bell code, this is what you should see.

38. Nick Says:
    September 25th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I am trying to install a phone jack in my bedroom and there already exists a grey telephone wire in the room. So I went to Home Depot and bought a plastic phone jack for it. The phone jack has 4 wires on it which are: red, yellow, green, and black. Except that the phone wire coming out of the wall has 6 wires within it. They are: blue, white/blue, green, white/green, white/orange, and a colour which looks like orange-beige. What connects to what? Which 2 wires get excluded, and what do I do with these 2 wires? Do I connect them to each other with a grommit, or do I leave them dangling? Please help, Thanks.

39. Roberta Price Says:
    October 4th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I am wanting to add a phone jack to my living room, which does have one. It does have several electric plugs. Is there a way of coverting an electric plug to a phone jack? I have a cable box on one side of the room that needs to have a phone line connected to it, but no phone jack close to it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

40. jCarl Says:
    October 6th, 2008 at 7:58 pm

hey i need some help please. so i want to move my router to my room but i dont know what kind of jack to use i have 4 wires(green, black, red, and yellow) please help me tell me what to buy. by the way am only gonna use it to put my internet router not for a phone

41. Sam Says:
    October 9th, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Hi guys, I’m from Australia and have a bit of a wiring issue I cannot find an answer too, hopefully you guys can help.

I’m attempting to wire a new flush mount modular and it’s wires are yellow, green, black and red. My old house telephone wires are red, black, blue and white..

When I connect the black to black and red to red and cross the other two over, i still get nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

42. Sam Says:
    October 9th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Hey guys, cancel the previous blog, i’ve worked it out!

Cheers

it was blue on old wiring to red on new wiring, and white on old wiring to green on new wiring.

Go figure.

43. Lisa Says:
    October 17th, 2008 at 3:31 pm

John, you are so smart. I have an older home with all the different color-coded wires. I had to install a newer wall jack because mine fell apart. I have been working on it all day trying to find the correct combination with no luck. I was about to give up when I found this website and saw your color code chart. I took your advised and took the old Bell way and it works. Thanks for your import and your color code chart. :) Lisa

44. Bonnie Says:
    November 11th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I have a dual line telephone jack. The wires, from the wall, have detached. It is 2 pressure crimped, white with orange stripe. Where and how do I attach to the screws? Help…before I have to call the telephone company.

45. Donny Says:
    November 17th, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I have an office that needs three phones. They
    already have jacks in the office and I traced the wires using a Fox and Hound back to the PBX system and plugged them into the PBX and I get no dial tone, dead line.

One one particular jack the jacks wiring looks good. The correct colors are matched to the correct place. It has a CAT5 cable coming to the jack from the PBX using the white/brown and brown cable for one phone. But when i plug the cable into the PBX and then plug the phone into the jack I get nothing…any suggestions?

46. Sue Says:
    December 4th, 2008 at 8:46 pm

HI, I wanted to move a jack which left two cables with a bunch of wires, now my phone has a buzz, so if i move the line may or may not clear up. I have no idea how to reatatch the wires to the jack. The colors are solid blue which seem to be the power orange/white with orange stripe blue and white striped solid green and green and white stripe.There are two cables and they each have these color wires how do I hook them up?

47. David Says:
    December 11th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I have static and no dial tone on all jacks in the house. There is a dial tone at the NID. I have checked with a continuity tester, and have a short in the blue/white – white/blue pair. All other pairs in the line are good. Can I just swap the Blue/White pair for another unused pair at each jack, and connect the same unused pair at the NID to correct the problem.

48. Official Comment:

December 12th, 2008 at 9:45 am

Hi David,
    Yes, you should be able to swap off the bad wires for a good pair.

49. James Says:
    December 14th, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I have installed a second phone line into my garage,when i hook the line up in the main box outside it causes my dsl to blink out. Any help would be appreciated.

50. Chris Arden Says:
    December 30th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Can installing incorrectly cause any type of electrical issues? Could this be a fire hazard?
    Thanks!

51. bryan Says:
    January 3rd, 2009 at 10:14 pm

i would like to know how far from the floor a flush phone jack should be at? appreciate your help.

52. JD Says:
    January 19th, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I replaced the telephone jack in my kitchen and it works…but somehow I turned off all of the other phone jacks in the house. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

53. Dion Says:
    February 3rd, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I would like to install a new hidden phone jack in my closet, my closet is close to the outside phone box, what are the steps?

54. ES Says:
    February 5th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Curious regarding “clockwise direction”.. does that matter?
    I just moved a jack that the tv satellite box was plugged into.. we were moving the tv across the room and had to pull the wire back thru the floor and come up elsewhere.
    It only required me to remove 2 wires.. the red and green.. from the jack so the wires would go back thru the floor.
    When I hooked it back up, no dial tone. Other extensions in the house work. I stripped it back to a new spot and still no dial tone. What am I missing?

55. Official Comment:

February 5th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

ES,
    The wire is wrapped around the terminal in a clockwise direction so it pulls the wire tighter when you tighten up the terminal. As long as the wire is on the screw and has good contact, it shouldn’t make a difference.

56. Chris Says:
    February 17th, 2009 at 1:17 am

Hi,
    I’m in the process of changing my phone jack with a new Cat 3 (RJ45) jack.
    The old jack had terminal 2 (white cable), terminal 3 (red cable), terminal 5 (black cable) & terminal 6 (blue cable)
    The new Cat 3 (RJ45) jack has terminals 3,4,5, & 6
    what cables go to what terminals.

57. Joe Says:
    February 24th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Need some help. I have a spliter in my wall jack. one line goes to my modem the other to the printer. (helps with faxing) I only have one line. I am attempting to install a dual wall jack to get rid of the spliter. the wall has two lines coming out, one with blue and blue white. The other, with black, red, green white. I attempted to hook them up but got no phone signal. Have no idea what to do with the blue/blue white. also the white cable line from the wall. The wall jack only has four colors, red green balck yellow. help please thank you

58. Katlady Says:
    March 14th, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I have a problem. I live in an old house and have installed phone jacks before. Now I have tapped into an existing jack at the end of the line and run two new jacks. My problen is the 1st jack works but the 2nd jack does not work. I have switched the jacks and both work on jack #1 but neither work on jack #2. Help!

59. Official Comment:

March 16th, 2009 at 7:17 am

Hi Katlady,
    I would start by checking to be sure the colored wires you are using for each jack are connected to the interface box.

60. bridgette Says:
    March 16th, 2009 at 4:32 pm

we have several Panasonic KSTS3282B phones in our home and office. We notice when one person is on line two you can hear the conversation through line one, it is muffled, some days it is louder than others. ( there are only two lines) Is this in the wiring that was done to the house, or the jack to the phone. The phones came with a phone line that was a blueish, green phone wire from jack to phone. we are not using those and wondered if that made a difference? Any suggestions?

Thank in advance.
    Bridgette

61. jimmy Says:
    March 24th, 2009 at 12:19 am

danny , when i got my dsl for first time it was working fine
    but now it has seemed to slowed down & giving me trouble i think theres a hacker on my pc , ilive in nursing home so i don’t know if its the hacker or the nursing home done something to my phone line i need help in solving this issue
    please rply thank you jimmy!

62. terri Says:
    March 30th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

We moved & have a finished basement where we have our tv/dvr set up. We need a working phone line to order movies from the DISH. The phone jack in that room isn’t working. I got a new one and replaced it but it still doesn’t work. There are 3 separate phone lines in the box though it’s a single jack outlet, the other 2 lines are coiled up in the box. I tried one of the other2 in the box but that didn’t make a difference. Also, there’s a bedroom down there with a phone jack & it works which makes me believe the line leading to the basement from the outside is ok. Any ideas or do I need to call in a phone service person to check this line out.

63. Bennie Laster Says:
    April 13th, 2009 at 10:41 am

My phone jack has 7 wires and the wire coming out of the wall at a cable box has 7 wires . I hooked up 4 to a 4 wire jack and the phone won’t work. What do I need to do to make this phone work at new location? My closest jack to this is wired to a 7 wire jack.

64. L.J. Says:
    April 29th, 2009 at 10:47 am

Danny,
    I live in Michigan and have my phone wire coming in from a pole. I noticed that when I looked under the cover that only the 2 brown wires were hooked up, there are other wires which used to be hooked up an are now cut off. My phone still works in fact I used to think maybe my phone was tapped because I could here dogs barking and other noises. Should the other wires be hooked up?

65. L.J. Says:
    April 29th, 2009 at 10:57 am

I’m sorry those wires are blue and blue and white

66. Official Comment:

April 30th, 2009 at 7:01 am

Hi L.J.,
    A phone only requires two wires to work. The additional ones are there in case there’s a short in the original two or if you want a second line. The colors used aren’t important as long as the same two colors are used to hook it up at the interface box.

67. Samantha Says:
    May 31st, 2009 at 3:17 pm

We had AT & T come out to fix our phone after it quit working…guy said it was the jack in our daughter’s room & replaced it and changed the wiring outside coming into our bedroom…now the jack in both rooms won’t work (he didn’t even check them before he left). Trying to hook up the wires in our room to be the same as the other room doesn’t work. Our line coming into the jack has six wires: red, black, green, blue, white and yellow. Have tried wiring red to red, black to black, etc and still doesn’t work. Exactly which wires go to which four screws at the back of the jack? It has red, green, black and yellow. Trying to flollow the logic of the pairs mentioned previously in this site doesn’t help a non-electrician like me…

68. Official Comment:

June 1st, 2009 at 7:54 am

Hi Samantha,
    I’d start by calling and getting the phone company back out to fix what they messed up. Your other option is to see if you can trace the wires from the jacks in question back to the interface box mounted on the outside of your house. Next, open the cover on the user side, determine which colored wires were hooked up in the interface box, then use the same colors on the jacks. It is also possible that they disconnected all the wires to those jacks, in which case you will need to reconnect one of the colored wires to each of the terminals, and use those colors on the jacks (the colors you choose aren’t important as long as they match at each end). Option three would be to use trial and error and check each of the wires at the jacks until you find the combination that works. Good luck!

69. Drew Says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 12:16 am

I have netzero dialup, and i have a long 50ft phone wire running from downstairs, to the upstairs. My kids were running through the dining room, where the wire cuts across the floor, and they tripped over the wire, and yanked the wires out of the phone jack. i’m not really sure what to do. There are four color wires sticking out of the wall. Black,yellow,green,and red. I dont know where to tie the wires on the phone jack. the jack has screw with colors on them. Same color as the wires that were ripped out. But like i said, i dont know where each wire goes. And without the jack, no internet.
    Can someone please help me? if so, thankss.

70. Official Comment:

June 24th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Hi Drew,
    You should be able to match the colored wires up to the same colored terminals. If that doesn’t work, plug a phone into the jack and try different combinations until you get a dial tone.

71. Drew Says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Yes, and i’ve tried it. I matched up the colors, and all i get is like a humming sound from the phone. I’ve looked for my outside box, but i cant find it anywhere. Not on any sides of my house, or even in my basment.I’m stuck on what to do.

72. Official Comment:

June 25th, 2009 at 8:48 am

Drew,
    Unless you are getting your phone service through the cable company, there should be a phone connection box somewhere. If you don’t have underground utilites running to your house, look for where the phone line comes in from the pole and follow it until it goes into the connection box. If you have underground utilities, they will come out somewhere, either on the wall outside your house or the basement, or a wall or utility closet inside. If you can dial the phone but it has a hum, check out our article on How to Fix a Hum in a Phone Line.
    Good luck!

73. Drew Says:
    June 25th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for the help. Im still kind of confused about all this, but i just hired someone to fix it. Thanks again.

74. John Says:
    August 4th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

For 4 years we had perfect AT&T landline service with voice and fax lines. Last week ADT installed a security system and connected their monitoring box to the phone NID with a new cable of their own. But while trying to figure out how to install their system, the ADT installer removed a two line phone jack (in a nearby room), fiddled with it and then put it back in the wall. After he installed the system, I noticed that we had fax but no voice service.

When I dial the voice number from my cell, I get a busy signal. From what I’ve been reading on your site, that sounds like a short.

One of my questions is why haven’t two additional ADT techs been able to fix the problem that the ADT installer created?

Also, am I probably correct in assuming that the short is either in the NID or in the adjacent room’s two line jack that they all have fiddled with?
    Thanks for your help,
    John

75. John Says:
    August 4th, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I forgot to mention that when you try to call out with the voice line, you get a busy signal.
    John

76. amy Says:
    August 24th, 2009 at 11:01 am

I do not have a phone line (we use cell phones) however I do have DSL modem. I changed the location of my computer last night not realizing that the phone jack had to be wired different for the DSL. I took it apart tried to wire it like the other jack but they are totally different jacks. I have a jack like the picture above with the 4 screws. I belive the 2 blue wires are the ones that I use for DSL but which ones, there are 2 sets coming out of the wall and where do they go? There are 4 seperate screws Black, Red, Yello and White…I need to get up and running today as my online class starts today but I cant afford to pay Qwest $100 to come out and do 5 min worth of work.
    Anyone have directions…with pictures?

77. Official Comment:

August 25th, 2009 at 9:07 am

Hi Amy,
    First check to be sure the jack in question is hooked up at the interface box to the line that has the DSL, then use the same color wires that are connected in the interface box for the phone jack.

78. george Says:
    September 4th, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Hi great site you have here! Here is what i am dealing with. I just had my phone service turned on today. Only 1 of the 3 phone jacks gives a dial tone to my phone when i plug the phone cord into the phone jack. All the wires in the three phone jacks are connected. Would my rechargable phone make a difference in this case? Two of the three phone jacks appear to be a bit older than the type that gives a dial tone ( wall mount type with spring retractable half moon looking swivel door)I know this could be a it might be this,this or this or that question. I have checked the obvious connection,cable/wire conditions. What other checks might be effectively applicable in sorting this no dial tone thing out? Thanks to the phone pros and non pros alike!

79. Official Comment:

September 8th, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hi George,
    I have some of the older modular jacks in my home, and they work fine, so I don’t think it would be that or that you have a cordless phone (though I would try an inexpensive corded one just to be sure). You might take the cover of the jack and be sure the wires are hooked up to it, then check the interface box outside to be sure the same color wires are hooked up there as well. If all appears wired properly, my next step would be to try hooking up a new jack to the existing wires. If still no go, try swapping off the existing wires at both the box and jack. Last resort would be to run a new cable from the box. Good luck!

80. Justin Says:
    September 9th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I have a newer home, about five years old or so I think it has the six wire interface box since I have three separate phone lines. I just bought a Polycom phone which is an analog speaker phone only for my office. After hooking the Polycom up it doesn’t allow my regular desk phone, which is a Vtech corded phone with a linked cordless phone to diplay the caller id on a call waiting call. The Polycom does not have a display but does “beep” to let me know that there is a call coming in. I have tired to hook the Vtech up though the data port on the Polycom power supply but that doesn’t help. I also tried a 6-line splitter to the wall but nothing. My Vtech has an ext. jack which I hooked the Polycom to but nothing there either. Any ideas? Thanks for this great service.

81. delquattro Says:
    September 15th, 2009 at 5:42 pm

John C. has posted the exact information that I need. My jacks are the usual red, green, yellow, black, etc., but my cable, which I’m re-using, is the six pair cable. I can’t figure out which one he is referring to as the solid color. My cable appears to have a solid color next to the same color with white hashes. So, which one goes to red or green? The solid, or the one with the white hash?

82. Andrew Says:
    September 19th, 2009 at 11:29 am

I sure hope somebody can help me with this. I just ran a new phone jack into the living room for DSL to our computer. There are now 3 jacks in the house (bedroom, kitchen, and living room). The kitchen and living room are next to each other, but the jacks do not share a common wall. The bedroom phone jack always works. I cannot have anything plugged into the kitchen and living room jacks at the same time because neither will work. Only 1 can be plugged in at a time between those 2 rooms. To further complicate the matter, the phone jack in the living room will randomly dump the DSL signal and will not pick it back up until I pull the jack out and let it hang from the wall. I have replaced the living room phone jack once, and it worked for a week, but now it quits again. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

83. Shantel Says:
    October 19th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I have a question, I just recently signed up for verizon dsl services and they told me that in order for my dsl services to work I would need to install a new jack in my room or re wire the one I already have so that the number I have already will not work on it. I would like to know how would I go about doing that?

84. Shayne Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 9:27 am

I recently signed up for verizon dsl and I need to install a Seperate phone jack so I could use it because its on an seperate account with the phone line

85. Bigfoot Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Hi,
    1)What does it cost ballpark figure to run a new cable from the NID through the house for 3 jacks?

2)Does it need to be done by an certified electrician or phone company engineer?

3) Can the cable be run outside the house or will it break down fast from weather exposure. I don’t want anyone in my attic the roofers put their foot thru my ceiling and repaired it all ugly so I don’t want anything like that happening again.

Thanks a million in advance!

86. packerfanlyn Says:
    November 21st, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I was removing wallpaper in the kitchen and had to unscrew the plate cover that has the phone jack in it and the thing you screw the satelling cord to. When I was scraping the wallpaper, I must have touched the wires with my arm somehow and got a slight shock. Since then, none of our phones will work in the house. I went outside and checked to see if we had service coming into our house and we do. I’m sure I caused the problem when I brushed up against those wires. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

87. Connie Says:
    December 6th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I have old wiring and needed a new phone jack, sure the newer 4 wire jack has the three red/green/black and yellow wires, but the wires coming out of my floor from the phone company are white red orange and blue…. and ideas on which ones should connect to which… would really appreciate some insight and help. thanks

88. Official Comment:

December 7th, 2009 at 10:07 am

Hi Connie,
    What’s important is that the color of the wires you use are the same colors that are attached to the phone interface box on the outside of your house.
    While you could figure it out by trial and error until you find the combination that works, a better idea is to open up the interface box, find the line that goes to your jack, note the color of the wires that are connected to it, and match those same colors on the jack.

89. daphne Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 9:14 am

i’ve got a hole in the wall with a plate, and behind that is phone cable. the sheath is in-tact. once i cut into the cable, how do i 1- tell which side of the line to use (or does it matter), and 2- terminate/truncate the side that isn’t used?

90. Victoria Durham Says:
    January 2nd, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I recently moved into someone elses home, the bedroom that I use has no phone jack and I am wondering how to approach this problem. One phone jack is located in the bedroom next to mine. The phone jack is on the wall in the other room and that wall is the same wall that I have too. So I use a pin light; shine it from the wall jack, it would go maybe 1 foot through the wall to my wall which looks like its the same wall as his wall is and I could take a drill and drill right through my wall and it would open up and I could unattach his wall jack and attach it to a new wall jack in my room. I am asking you if this is what I would need to do? I did look in my closet but asside from this big insulated 12 inch diam. piping coming from the floor into the ceiling cut out there, there is no other openings. Great site!

91. Brenda Williams Says:
    January 22nd, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I have an old telephone wall mounted jack. There are 2 wires going into it, each separating into yellow, red, green and black. There are 8 screws available to attach these to–4 on each side of the jack. It was working just fine, but took the phone down to paint and I must have pulled one of the wires out and I don’t know how to reconnect them. 2 reds are attached to the second screw on the left, 1 green on the second screw on the right, all others not connected. I have tried connecting the other green with the green still attached to the second screw on the right, but no dial tone. What should I try? Thanks.

92. K Valentine Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I have a connection in my basement, that has two studs with nuts on left side, and two studs with nuts on the right side. Thgre is a main cable coming in from the box outside, with a black and white wire. On left set of studs upper stud is a bluewire, lower stud is blue/white wire. At one time there was a second line in this house, orange &orange/white. For opening the second line again, to I just attach the orange &orange/white to the same studs as the blue & blue/white, or do I have to jump a wire(s) to the right side studs, and attach? I can send a picture, if that would help. In the box outside, there is a blue pair and ornage pair connected. My lines have never come directly from the external panel.

93. K Valentine Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. There was one twisted pair connected to the studs on the left blue blu/w and the orange twisted pair was cut. I extended the orange twisted pair, and attached them to the second set of studs ti the right, with the wire for the second line. At least I think that’s right. This is an old house, and the studs for the phone connections are just bare, uncovered. I used this “junction?” to put in a second phone on the same line in the past.

94. K Valentine Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Andrew Says:
    September 19th, 2009 at 11:29 am
    Andrew, did you insert the dongles that come with your broadband Modem? You should have gotten about 2-3 of them for all the other jacks in the house. If they are not put into the other jacks, the phones will sound like static, and dsl won’t work.

95. Trish Says:
    February 5th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Help! I recently moved the computer to where a phone line was only to realize the phone jack doesn’t work. I tried to switch the face plate with a working one. The wires are so short-one broke-now it is nearly impossible to hook them up. What do I do? Can I add wire? If this isn’t the problem do I call the phone company?

96. Rosie Says:
    February 9th, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hi we tried to install an new jack in a bedroom, it seemed to work but lost the phone in the living room, we have one other phone that does work in another bed room, it is now the only phone to work. Any idea why the one jack quit working? We didn’t install the would have been the thrid phone after the one went dead, we thought that would make the one work but didn’t so we aren’t sure what we did wrong. The phones that don’t work in the one room do work in the bedroom jack that work,so it is not the phone. Any help would be appriecated.

97. D'Arcy Says:
    February 10th, 2010 at 1:39 am

I love this site – thank you! I have the same problem “Amy” did; the wall phone jack died and when I took off the faceplate I see two sets of wires with the same colors coming in. Am I correct in assuming one set is for my dsl and the other for the landline? The one thing I couldn’t figure out from your answer to Amy is whether I’m supposed to connect both sets of wires to the new jack. It looks as though they were all attached before but none of the wires are stripped. Thank you for your time.

D’Arcy

98. Marc Says:
    March 4th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Hello all, I have 3 black wires coming out of the wall and 4 wires from the jack to connect to those 3 wires. The 3 wires from the wall are not color coded, they are black, and by trial and error, I have been unable to get a dial tone. The phone was working fine, and all of a sudden, I have nothing, and nothing I’ve done has corrected the issue. If anyone can help feel free to e-mail me at O2ZL1427SS@GMAIL.com. Thanks

99. specialist Says:
    March 10th, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hello,

I have an older home with a telephone connection where i dont want it, i want to remove it. How do you take the jack off?

100. Scott Says:
    March 15th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hello everyone. My friend asked me to hook up several rj45 jacks to handle data from his hub that is in the basement.

The jacks he bought does not have the same color code as my cat5. The back of his RJ45 has reg/green, black/yellow,
    orange/brown, and blue/white.

I hooked up my w/bl to the green/red
    w/or to the black/yellow
    w/gr to the brown/orange
    w/br to the white/blue

He will not have service until later this week and was just curious if I used the proper hookup.

The other end of my cat 5 will have to have a RJ45 plug crimped onto it. Will my wire order be standard at that end because of this goofy jack?

Thanks for your help.

101. Michael Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I recently had DSL installed on my home line and have dsl filters on each phone jack so there’s no line noise when I’m on the phone. I have an old rotary phone hooked up in the garage with the phone line wired straight into the phone. How can I install a phone jack on this line so that I can place a dsl filter there also and eliminate line noise? The phone is antique but convenient.

102. Cozy Your Home » Blog Archive » How To Install a Retro Phone Says:
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:29 pm

[...] (Have I mentioned how much I love Google?) I found lots of help, but one site stood out:   Danny Lipford. This site offers an amazing amount of information on all Where I wanted the jack to be…Use your [...]

103. Rose Says:
    April 26th, 2010 at 9:09 am

Need some help-rec’d a computer as a gift & is set up in dining area. No phone jack installed in this area so have a telephone cord from dining area to kitchen phone – big inconvenience because it goes across kitchen & adults are always running in to it – planned on doing this temp. Live in a 3 story condo. Have a bedroom right above dining room and there is a phone jack installed in bedroom on 3rd floor in same location. My brother drilled a hole in the wall in dining area expecting to find a telephone wire but nothing. Is it possible to install a wire from phone jack in bedroom to dining area below.(Brother couldn’t help me any further-said he’s too busy). Help if you can!!!

104. Official Comment:

April 27th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hi Rose,
    Yes, you can run an extension for a new jack from an existing phone jack. Check out our article on How to Add a Phone Extension to find out more.

105. Rose Says:
    May 1st, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Thanks for previous info but I don’t understand how to run the wires through the walls from a floor above to a floor below. Do I drill a hole in the wall & will the wire go down to the next floor or will there be a board inside the wall (where the floor is) blocking it? Don’t know if this makes sense but I just have no clue what I’m doing.

106. Official Comment:

May 2nd, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hi Rose,
    It will not be easy to run a phone line from one floor to another. You will have to cut an opening in the wall, drill through the top and bottom wall plates to the stud cavity below, then snake the phone line down the wall and out through an hole in the baseboard. If you have a closet on the top floor that backs up to the existing phone jack, cut your opening in the back of the closet so it won’t show. For more information go to our article on How to Run Wires in Existing Walls and Floors. Good luck with your project!

107. Dan Says:
    June 6th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

the phone was wired to one room but there was an other jack running to the room i wanted to use it in so i disconnected the two wires coming from the line one and plugged them back to the original jack. now the phone will make outgoing calls fine but when someone is calling it will ring once then if you dont pick it up immediatly after that 1st ring it will go to a busy signal. what is going on. i know its not the phone its the wiring

108. JoyDenise Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 10:32 pm

What a wealth of information! I looked at the questions and did not see my own, but if I am repeating someone else’s question, I apologize! I have just bought an old rotary wall phone for my kitchen and LOVE it. However, I’m wondering if there is a way to wire a caller ID to it? I was told there used to be a type of adaptor that could be used for that, but I’m wondering if I could simply directly wire the CID into the wires on the plate/jack/module I have the phone on now? I’m only using two wires for phone service – can any of the other wires in the cable be used for either running a new jack a few inches from this one, or just wiring into this one in order to use a CID box?

109. Fausto Parise Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

how do i connect a fax machine and a internet on my home phone line? when they in separate rooms.

fausto

110. Pauline Says:
    September 11th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

A few years ago I used a second line for my computer. The phone company used Cat5 8 wire & placed a DSL filter for their modem. Since the service was discontinued & the room pretty much unused I didn’t worry too much about it. But things have once again changed in this busy household of mine and I need to connect the jack that is in that room to the main line. My outside box does not allow access to the cable. It has jack testers & a warning about not opening the central area. All I want/need to do is to convert the unused/inactive jack to an active one on our home number. From the looks of things it is a completely separate cable from my main line. (This house was once used for a business so there are many cables that go into the outside box.) If I have to come off of another jack it will be a long, long length…something I would like to avoid since it will be external along the baseboards, up the walls & around door frames. Please advise. I can provide pics if that will help. Thank you.

111. Official Comment:

September 12th, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Pauline,
    If you don’t have access to the inner workings of the interface box, you’ll have to either get the phone company out to activate the line, or tie it into one of the other working lines. Good luck with your project!

112. Veronica Says:
    October 5th, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I just moved into a new house and there are blank wall plates in every room with a gray cable behind it. Could this be phone wiring? How do I determine what its used for?

113. Official Comment:

October 6th, 2010 at 6:19 am

Hi Veronica,
    If the cable looks similar to the one in the fifth picture in the above article, it’s a phone cable. It should run to your phone interface box but may not be connected to the incoming phone line. Depending on the setup in your interface box, you may be able to attach a phone jack to it, then connect it to the leads on the interface box to make it a working phone. Good luck with your project.

114. J.R. Says:
    October 20th, 2010 at 5:30 pm

i bought a house in Alabama this Summer. is it true that the company has switched from the reg. colored wires to another type of wireing. if so do i really have to switch all of the wires in the house… this is really fustrating!!

115. Terry Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Hi, I have a phone jack with wired, blue, white/blue, orange, white/orange. Then yellow, black, red and green. How do I hook them up for the phone to work.

116. Andy Says:
    December 21st, 2010 at 1:53 am

Hi,I have a question.In my house there is 2 panels and I don’t know which panel to hook my phone wire to. Do you have a clue to which panel it goes to?

117. Official Comment:

December 21st, 2010 at 8:05 am

Hi Andy,
    Your best bet would be to experiment by trying one of your phone panels, and if it doesn’t work, then the other. Good luck with your project.

118. Devin Groothuis Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I have a question when i first moved into the house im rented the people im renting the house from told me that there is a black line coming out the ground if i ever wanted to hook up a telephone there it was well i’m having internet put in my house so i went and cut the wires so i could get it hooked up but the problem i’m having is that the cable only has 6 little wires coming out of it and they are 2 blue, 2 green, and 2 orange how to i go about hooking this up.

119. Laurie Nuessmann Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 1:01 am

I am moving into a business lease spot that has 4 landlines already in use. I need a land-line as well. Can a fifth land-line be added? The room that I’m going to be in has a phone jack where you can plug in a phone and the cables are also in the closet of that room. How can I tell if a fifth line can be added? Do I need a professional technician? I need the land-line as I want to keep my same phone number and I take visa and master card through my phone as well.

120. walter Galuska Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 11:38 am

I am trying to install phone jacks for my HO train layout. I have a power pack that has a 4 pin coil wire from the power pack to a hand held controler. This way works fine. I am supposed to be able to disconnect the coil wire from the power pack and reconnect it to a seperate phone jack around my layout.
    When I try and install additional phone jacks I can not get my locomotives to run properly.
    I have used 4 pin to 4 pin plugs, 4 pin to 6 pin plugs (as suggested by the company that makes this power pack)to no avail.
    I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I used simple 4 wire (red,black,green and yellow wiring) to each additional phone jack.
    Totally frustrated, appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Walt

121. Michael Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:16 am

All of the above is why you hire a professonal!

122. Chuck Says:
    August 16th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

While installing and setting fax on a HP all in one my line went dead during installation. service is live at the interface outside but the wall jacks are all dead also have a house alarm connected appreciate any help.

123. Martyn Banks Says:
    August 25th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I am having issues with my phone line from Telstra. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I have looked in my hills home hub and the blue and white wire are connected from the cable outside. However, it looks as though in the telstra box outside, the orange and white line is connected. Could this be the reason that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t? Can I simply change the wire in the telstra box to blue to make it work? Appreciates any help you can give.

124. Bruce Says:
    December 23rd, 2011 at 12:06 am

I have 4 wire phone cable coming into one of the jacks in my house. It quit working I think because of paint getting into it and it was 50 years old anyway. I bought a new jack and rewired it to the old cable. I installed new jacks on new inside phone cable but get no dial tone. I noticed the jacks I bought were 6 pin jacks instead of 4 pin. Do you think that is my problem?

125. n Says:
    December 23rd, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Just need 1 pair (2 wires) just tie down to the green(tip) and red (ring) to the green red which would be for 1 dial tone .strip the jack back to fresh copper for nice connection.
    If that does not work , it may not have been the jack that was the problem . Could have been the phone itself , test on another working jack. Could be other inside wire issue . Good luck

126. James Says:
    January 9th, 2012 at 8:35 am

It was a wonderful demonstration along with snapshots. The samsung telephone system installers used for business purpose also needs 10 – 15 wires which need to be connected according to their color.

127. Celeste Says:
    January 30th, 2012 at 11:47 am

I want to repair an old phone jack, the little box sticking out from the baseboard, which broke open. I’ll need a new box, but how do I connect the wires with the “u” shaped hooks on the end of them? There are two wires without hooks. I think they may be for another phone. Is that possible? Thanks for the help.

128. Steve Beck Says:
    April 4th, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am eliminating a business line in my home office which is also used for my DSL. I would like to convert this existing jack used for my business line to my residential phone/DSL service. How do I go about doing so? Thanks for you assistance.

129. Barbara A Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I read the posts back to 2008. I have 30 year old phone wiring that I had to replace the jack for(wires came loose when I removed the cover to paint the room) that didn’t fit any of the suggestions. But they fit a combination of suggestions. So if this helps anyone, this is how mine worked: I purchased a “Cooper Wiring” phone jack at Home Depot. I had eight tiny wires coming out of my thick wire in the wall. The BLUE with WHITE STRIPE wire from the wall connects to the RED SCREW that has a blue wire under it. The GREEN with WHITE STRIPE wire from the wall connects to the GREEN SCREW that has a white wire under it. The ORANGE with WHITE STRIP wire from the wall connects to the YELLOW SCREW with orange wire under it. The WHITE with ORANGE STRIPE wire from the wall connects to the BLACK screw with beige wire under it. Tada, my dial tone works!

130. Official Comment:

April 28th, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hi Barbara,
    Thanks for the feedback!

131. D Hanik Says:
    October 5th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I have an old faceplace with studs on the front and screws under the front of the faceplate. How do I easily remove it to replace?

132. Bill Says:
    May 19th, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’d like to add a phone jack to my house.

133. Mark Says:
    September 17th, 2013 at 7:58 am

Phone lines carry 50v in Australia and Telstra exchange’s log if the volts drop on a line and for how long this how they know when line work has been done in Australia phone line installs can ONLY BE DONE BY A LICENCED CABLER
    There are huge fines for any person interfering with Telstra phone lines
    Because if you don’t connect it properly you can damage the Telstra exchange
    So always get a licenced Cabler if you shop around not all Cabler’s are expensive.

134. Linda Says:
    October 28th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I have replaced one phone jack in my own house and it worked when I was done. My parents had been “talked into” a safety monitor system for 3 years. They paid it off but the company did not want the Honeywell box/system that was mounted to the wall. The phone was going thru the box. I took the box out and tried to reconnect the jack (even tried a new jack) but can get no dial tone on this outlet. Is there a way to test the phone line?? Is there any reason the jack would not work now without the monitor?

135. Joan Byrd Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 10:39 am

Were do i fine a splitter for a phone jack so i can hook up my copy machine that has a fax with it.

136. Nina Says:
    January 29th, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I have 3 phone jacks but only one has a dial tone. the room where I need the dial tone has 8 wires: brown/white stripes, green/white stripes, orange/white stripes, and blue/white stripes (the blue/white stripes is fused with a red and green wire to an old jack). I purchased a new jack and tried splicing the red and green wires connected to blue/white stripes but no dial tone. what could be the color coordination be?

137. Mahesh Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I have a room with a blank plate. pulled it off saw phone wiring but in was looped. As in there was no end. Not sure with they stapled the other end and i cant pull it out or if its looped and is connected to the other jacks. anyone ever seen this? wish i could post a picture.

138. Dean Says:
    May 21st, 2014 at 12:45 am

We only have six wires red black green and white would like to know how to connect a krone side by side internent socket

139. affia james Says:
    August 18th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

hi,
    my phone has just stop working, it seems as if there is a wire break, my foot tripped on the wire and since that i am not getting even a dial tone, i check the modular jack, but all the wires seem to be in tack,however there is an end of blue wire that is not connected to anything, anyway i am getting my internet which is connected to the same box please help if you can.

140. Robert Says:
    August 31st, 2014 at 3:34 am

Hello I’m from Australia and have a bit of a wiring problem. I cannot find an answer too, hopefully you someone can help. I’m attempting to wire a new flush mount modular and it’s wires are yellow, green, black and red. My old house incoming wires are red, black, blue and white… When I connect the black to black and red to red and cross the other two over, i get nothing. Any suggestions on which wire on connect and which one I don’t in order to get a dial tone…
    Hope someone can assist

141. Lisa Says:
    September 21st, 2014 at 9:41 pm

My landline has no dial tone in any of the jacks. When I plug a phone into the network interface there is a dial tone. Until I can get a repair person here to do the job, is it dangerous to run a long phone cord from the outside box into a window so I will have phone service? I realize that I will need to make sure the box is shut tight so rain will not get in it.