How to Make a Draft Dodger for Doors and Windows

By: Julie Day

Filling fabric tube with rice

Step 7: Fill Fabric Tube

Carefully pour your filling into the tube, I made a funnel by cutting out the bottom of a paper cup, and mine took about 7 pounds of rice. If you fill the tube to about 8” from the end, you’ll leave enough fabric to sew the end shut without spilling, and the filling will spread out and be nice and pliable when you’re done. It doesn’t have to be stuffed full; a little softness will help the draft dodger mold into the cracks.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “How to Make a Draft Dodger for Doors and Windows”

• Kim Says:
    January 29th, 2016 at 2:41 am

@ Katherine, you could use small pea gravel or aquarium gravel for a non-food filler that won’t be attractive to mice.

• Katherine Says:
    January 25th, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I live in an area where, when wet, mice seem to find a way into the basement and migrate toward the heat. I’m a bit leery of using rice or any other “food”. What other weighted suggestions do you have?

• Kathleen Says:
    January 19th, 2016 at 5:58 pm

I’m using Martha’s instructions and she uses paper kitty litter for filler. I don’t feel like spending big bucks on it though for one draft dodger. You mentioned unscented kitty litter. I have three cats so I have standard litter. Does anyone know if they will be attracted to it and leave a little gift for me? Thanks.

• Pam Says:
    January 13th, 2016 at 8:20 pm

We made 4 draft dodgers for a 48″ sliding glass deck door and side panels. For the doors we found 15″ was the best fabric width to stand from the floor and cover all seams. For the side panels 16″ was a better size. We alternated rice and shredded foam when filling. Rice was 50# for $16 at Costco; there is 20#’ish left over. Foam was $6 per bag at the fabric store (we used two). The family room is cozier already!

• Jan Says:
    January 11th, 2016 at 10:00 am

I have made draft dodgers and filled them with rice. The rice granules are small and assists the draft dodger to fit in all the crevices and cracks. It does the job.

• kathleen caudill Says:
    November 19th, 2015 at 2:45 pm

In making a few door draft dodgers I would like to know the most effective filler. Rice or beans don’t seem like they would be good insulators

• Heather Raum Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

For interior,bedroom doors or others, I use the tube insulation that is sold for pipes. (1/2″) All you have to do is prey the tube open (where it is scored) and make sure you have the correct length to match the bottom of the door. Slide the opened tube onto bottom of the door..and your done!!Costs less than $1.00 for 2 doors.

• joan cable Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 9:36 am

you can also use pantyhose before inserting into the sewn tube. if you have pets that chew everything,please make sure the filler is pet friendly—rice may be the best option–instead of tiny pebbles.