How to Repair Small Holes in Drywall
By: Danny Lipford
I want to paint my house, and I have several holes to patch from hanging paintings. What do I need to do? -Lisette
Here’s how to go about repairing small holes in drywall, such as those made by picture hanger or nail:
- Start by gently tapping the hole with a crown head hammer to slightly dent the wall around the hole.
- Next, fill the hole with spackling using a putty knife.
- To make the repair blend into the texture of the wall, use a damp sponge to wipe off any excess spackling around the patch while it’s still wet.
- Allow the spackling to dry. If the spackling shrinks enough to leave a depression in the surface, apply a second coat of spackling.
- When dry, spot prime the patch before painting.
To repair larger holes, check out our article on Patching a Hole in Drywall.
Good luck with your project,