Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard

By: Julie Day

Hollies provide both shelter and food for winter birds.

3. Basic Bird Need: Shelter

Birds need places to rest, escape predators, and build their nests. A garden with plenty of shelter is sure to have lots of birds. Tips include:

• Variety: The best bird shelter includes a variety of trees and shrubs with varying textures and heights.
  • Borders: Mixed shrub borders are perfect, because you can include a wide variety of plants that offer food, shelter, and nesting spots; and they’re usually far enough away from the house that the birds feel safe.
  • Hedges: Birds love the deep shelter provided by hedges.
  • Safety: Consider some prickly or thorny shrubs to provide added security from predators.
  • Evergreens: Conifers and evergreens are great shelter choices because they stay green year-round. Many varieties also produce berries or nuts, which provide an additional food element.
  • Birdhouses: Artificial shelter can be provided in the form of nesting boxes, such as bluebird houses. Choose nesting boxes specific to the birds in your garden, as many birds will not use a basic bird house.
  • Nesting Materials: Include a variety of plants with different textures, including grasses and fluffy plants, to give birds ample material to build their nests. Grass clippings are perfect if left mulched into your lawn. You can also put out small bundles of nesting materials, but it needs to be done properly to prevent injury to the birds. Check out our article on How to Attract Birds to Your Yard with Nesting Materials to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

10 Comments on “Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard”

• April Cook Says:
    August 17th, 2016 at 1:56 pm

My grandmother loves watching birds in her yard, and I think it would be fun to landscape the area to make it more inviting. I like your tip to provide the necessities for the birds. Will we need to get some birdhouses for shelter, or are there certain kinds of trees or bushes that make good homes for them?

• Hazel Adams Says:
    June 13th, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I have always wanted a bird friendly yard. They make such beautiful music. I am excited to try some of these landscaping tips.

• Jhoell Says:
    June 4th, 2016 at 10:19 am

I also did that in my garden. I also love birds and I enjoy their sound while playing around my garden. It makes my garden complete because of birds.

• Nash Rich Says:
    April 7th, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I love when birds are always about during the summer. There is something comforting about their songs. I never considered making my landscape more attractive to them. Now that I think about it, there are a lot more birds around my parents house because it’s a small farm with lots of trees. I guess I should start planting!

• Aria Wellington Says:
    March 29th, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I have been a bird enthusiast for the past few years and having a yard that attracts them has definitely been my dream. My husband and I are looking into doing some more landscape design in the future and I would love to incorporate your advice. Hopefully we will be able to find something that works for us, thanks for sharing!

• Jeff Curtis Says:
    February 29th, 2016 at 10:13 am

This is a really cool post on how to make your yard more bird-friendly. I think that having birds around makes for a really peaceful atmosphere. I will have to see if I want to get a water feature in my yard or not. Thanks for the post!

• Vicky Durrant Says:
    January 22nd, 2016 at 4:43 pm

My husband and I are going to be doing some landscaping work in the spring, and we’re currently thinking of some design ideas. I really liked your post, because there are a lot of birds in the area that we live! I would love to create a yard where I could watch the different birds come and go. I thought that your list of things that help attract birds was very helpful! As we are designing our future yard, I’ll be sure to keep this list in mind! Thank you for the great advice!

• Synny Says:
    October 27th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

How to feed wild birds without attracting rats, which is what one of my neighbors insists will happen. (So our facility has been told not to the feed birds at all.) But once before, I saw someone had posted a notice that people do not need to be afraid to birds, and no need to feed the rats. I would like to let people know that they CAN feed birds without attracting rats. I need your help for this. Do you have a record of the information?
    Happysunskimmer at Yahoo.com

• Mary Deschamps Says:
    May 5th, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I love birds and would love to see them in my yard more often. I hadn’t thought of providing them with nearby shelter after bathing. I would hate for them to be in a vulnerable situation. Thanks for the great information!

Mary

• Toni Says:
    March 13th, 2015 at 11:44 am

What if I need to put weed killer on lawn?