March Home Maintenance To-Do List

Sealing grout in tile floor.

Sealing grout in tile floor.

To-Do #6: Seal Tile Grout

Ceramic tile may be one of the lowest-maintenance and toughest flooring options available, but the grout between the tiles is porous and easily absorbs stains. Take some time this month to clean and seal your tile grout to keep it looking like new.

To Seal Tile Grout:

1. Start by cleaning grout lines with a scrub brush or old toothbrush using a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar. A mixture of bleach and water can also be used to remove stubborn stains. Be sure to remove all the stains you can, since any remaining dirt will be trapped beneath the grout sealer.
  2. Allow the grout to dry completely after cleaning.
  3. Apply commercial grout sealer using a roller applicator bottle that puts the sealer right on the grout lines or a small artist’s paintbrush. Be careful not to get sealer on the tile.
  4. If your grout is stained beyond repair, a grout stain can be applied to add color to the grout.
  5. If your floors are new, you’ll need to wait 30 days for the grout to cure before sealing it.

Watch our video on Sealing Grout in Tile Floors to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “March Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Bertha Pobocik Says:
    March 18th, 2016 at 9:44 am

I am a 75 year old widow and faithfully watch your show. One question, my cement block basement has a crack in the mortar 3 blocks down. What needs to be done? Your advice has helped me complete most home repairs myself.

• Wendy Stone Says:
    March 3rd, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hi Danny, i live on the mildew coast of Australia. Please show us a video to change ply cupboard doors to vented cupboard doors using dowels. If my thinking is correct this may elimate mould smells in rainy season…hopefully..tried damp rid..not working..thank you

• G Mankin Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 10:40 am

I need to replace my asphalt roof this year; is there a “barrier” that you can install on the roof deck before installing the roofing shingles that would make it more energy efficient?

March 2nd, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Steve,
    Glad to hear Wet & Forget worked well for you! Thanks for the feedback.

• Steve S. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 8:10 am

PLEASE, take my word for it!
    “Wet and Forget” is fantastic. We discovered it last year during one of Danny’s shows. We’ve used it on our deck, our siding, our shower, etc. Unbelievable how simple to use. “Wet and Forget”

• Frederick Grant, Sr. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 12:11 am

I have dark areas appearing on the asphalt shingles on my roof. Someone said it was a virus of some sort. Can you tell me the best way or product to remove it and what I might do to prevent it from returning.

March 21st, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hi Bob,
    The product that removes mold, moss, and mildew is called Wet & Forget. You can find out more at http://www.wetandforget.com

• BOB SCRANTON Says:
    March 20th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I caught the end of part of a radio show that talked about a product that can be sprayed on for mildew and it does not need washing off. The spokesman said you can find this product on our website which I have not be able to find. The radio show aired March 20, 2014 here in Florida on one of our local stations. Can you tell me the name of the product? thank you