Ask Danny

Venting Dryers in the Attic

Clothes dryer venting into the attic.

Clothes dryer venting into the attic.

My dryer vents in my attic. What can I do to have it vented outside to prevent lint buildup and to make it less of a fire hazard? -Cindy

Hi Cindy,

You’re right to be concerned. In addition to being against most building codes and a potential fire hazard, venting a dryer in an attic can result in moisture problems which could lead to rot or mold in your attic. Check out our video on Dryer Vent Safety for more information.

If your laundry room has access to an outside wall, cut a hole and install a standard dryer vent. Be careful you don’t cut through any studs, electrical wires, or pipes in the process. If venting outside isn’t an option, you can vent the dryer out of the attic through the roof using a special roof vent to keep rain out.

When venting dryers for long distances, use rigid metal pipe with as few elbows as possible. Attach the sections together with metallic duct tape—rather than sheet metal screws—to prevent lint buildup around the protruding screw inside the pipe.

Check your dryer manual for the maximum length of pipe and number of bends allowed. It’s a good idea to make the vent pipe easily detachable in the attic to allow you to clean it from time to time.

If the vent is longer than recommended, a booster vent fan can be installed in the pipe to increase the distance. To learn more, see our Dryer Vent Extension video.

Danny

15 Comments on “Venting Dryers in the Attic”

1. Brian Miller Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 4:59 pm

This article makes sense regarding the attic, however is it OK to vent the dryer into the garage?

2. Hope Says:
    October 13th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

What about the lint build-up issue? I just bought a townhouse and the dryer vents out the attic. The previous ownners dryer left lint buildup in the wall part of the pipe. The laundry is in the middle of the house in the master closet.

3. Official Comment:

October 14th, 2009 at 8:43 am

Hi Hope,
    Lint build up in dryer vent pipes can definitely be a problem, and the pipe should be cleaned periodically to remove it. Check out the Dryer Vent Safety link in the article above for more information. In your case, you might need to disconnect the vent pipe in the attic and fish a dryer cleaning brush with an extension handle down it from there to be able to reach the entire length of pipe.

4. amy Says:
    May 6th, 2010 at 10:01 am

I also have a dryer vented through the attic and out to the roof. Every couple of months I’ve pulled the vent off where it curves just before it goes to the outside. I take a broom handle and tie a thick rag on the end of it and a rope on the other end. I push it down the vent shaft and pull it back up to clean. Lately, that wasn’t the problem. It’s the little bird that wants to constantly build a house in my dryer vent. I noticed the dryer wasn’t working normally when I discovered the bird nest. Every couple of days I would remove the bird nest only to find the bird had put more in it’s place. The solution – a $1.79 orange and black rubber snake. I put this snake on the roof just above the entry to the vent and the bird has not returned.

5. Official Comment:

May 6th, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi Amy,
    Clever idea! If you have a dryer vent that goes through a wall, be sure to clean the flapper outside regularly so it closes and open properly. Otherwise, critters like birds, squirrels, and snakes might make their way inside through it!

6. don cannon Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

While cleaning my dryer tubing for lint which vents out of the roof, the 4″ lint brush which was screwed into a 3 ft extension came off and is now somewhere in the tubing between my utility room and my attic. How do i get it out?

7. Anthony George Says:
    February 19th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Our dryer vents out the gable end of our attic. Living in the North East our winters get well below freezing. Do I need to insulate exhaust pipe?

8. Official Comment:

February 19th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Hi Anthony,
    If your dryer vent pipe has condensation forming on the outside of the pipe, I would insulate it. If not, it should be okay.

9. Default Super Says:
    November 6th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I found that our dryer vent was venting into the attic. I have temporarilly fixed it by extending with flexible metal ventpipe and attaching this to the base of one of the roof turbine-syle exhaust fans (not one with a motor, the passive wind driven kind). Is this an adequate solution?

Thanks

10. Sandra Says:
    April 2nd, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I just bought a home Feb 28 and the dryer was vented to the attic. It has caused cracks where the ceiling joins the wall. I had to hire a home builder to have the dryer vented to the outside so the house would pass county inspection. I never even thought of the fire hazard till reading this article. Now I’m going to clean the lint out of the attic and lay another layer of insulation while I’m at it.

11. Lin Mercer Says:
    May 13th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I called and left you a message regarding installing a wall dryer vent onto the roof. (And my husband kept wondering why there was a screw set in the middle of the flapper because it would weigh down the flapper door too much when the air is forced up and out the roof). Well, he’s going to attached everything first to try it to see if the flapper door will open when the dryer is on. We also added a thin wire across the opening with 3 very small metal tape flags to see the air come through. We haven’t tested any of this yet but I’m really concerned about our “Mickey Mousing” a vent that isn’t meant for the roof. It does point on angle same as the roof. It’s practically a straight shot to the roof (through the attic) from the dryer. Should we dump this plan for safety reasons and just get the roof vent?
    Thanks for any advice you might have…Lin

12. Jerily Gunter Says:
    July 15th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

My dryer vent goes through the attic to the top of the roof. I am concerned about not being able to clean out the piping of build-up. Is this causing a fire hazard?

Thank you for your help.

13. Ann McGowan Says:
    October 4th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

We just noticed that our dryer vent came disconnect from the dryer. We don’t know how long it was disconnected for but there was a layer of lint on the wall and on the floor that we had to clean. My concern is that there is also a good amount of lint that looks like it went into our wall through the space in the sheet rock cut out for the dryer vent. I tried to get as much of it out with my hand but I know there is more. I think the only thorough way to get all the lint out cleanly would be to cut out the sheet rock and clean it, but I don’t know if this is needed/recommended?

14. Ann Says:
    November 11th, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Who can we call to help us to clean out our,roof gas dryer vent,also where can we buy a motor that can clean out the vent.

15. Lisa L. Says:
    November 15th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I have the same problem as this comment from 2011, but I didn’t see an answer on here??

don cannon Says: