Full Episodes of Today's Homeowner with Danny Lipford
Building a Wind Resistant Sunroom and Porch Addition
By: Danny Lipford
Watch this video to see how a wind resistant sunroom and porch addition were built for a house located on the water in a hurricane prone area, including:
- Removing the existing porch and supporting the second floor.
- Pouring the concrete slab foundation.
- Framing and reinforcing the 2×6 walls with plywood sheathing.
- Reinforcing the roof rafters using steel straps and hangers.
- Fabricating and attaching reinforced steel porch columns.
- Applying a water shield underlayment to the roof.
- Making custom plywood window covers with wing nut hardware for easy installation and removal.
Read episode article to find out more.
- How to Make Your Home More Wind Resistant (video)
- How to Reinforce a Home Against Wind Damage (video)
- How to Strengthen Wall Framing on a Sunroom (video)
- Boarding Up: Hurricane Storm Panels for Your Home (article)
- Sunroom, Deck, and Pool Addition Project, Part 1 (video)
- Sunroom, Deck, and Pool Addition Project, Part 2 (video)