Fireplace Maintenance and Safety Tips
By: Danny Lipford
No matter what type of fireplace you have or what you choose to burn in that fireplace, it is very important to use a fireplace safely and know how to properly maintain it. Here are some fireplace safety tips to follow:
- Make sure that your fireplace is inspected annually by a professional chimney sweep. The chimney sweep who inspects your fireplace should be certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America and as a fire inspector.
- Have your fireplace and chimney cleaned by a certified chimney sweep when there is a 1/4″ or more build up of creosote.
- Trim any branches near the chimney of your fireplace.
- Make sure there is a screen barrier around the top of the chimney on your fireplace to prevent birds and other wildlife from nesting on or in your chimney.
- Use a fire screen in front of the fireplace to contain embers and logs inside your fireplace and keep young children away.
- Never overload your fireplace to prevent logs from rolling out of your fireplace and starting a fire in your home.
Watch this video to find out more.