925 How To Videos
How to Build a Backyard Fire Pit from a KitBy: Danny Lipford
A backyard fire pit makes a great gathering place for outdoor entertaining. Kit fire pits, such as the RumbleStone Round Fire Pit kit from Pavestone we made, come with everything you need, including blocks, metal fire bowl, and a mesh fire screen.
To build a fire pit from a kit:
- Use a flat shovel to remove the grass and level the dirt in the area you want your fire pit (our kit required a circle 4’ in diameter).
- Place the fire screen in the center of the circle to serve as a template for laying the blocks.
- Position the first row of blocks in a circle around the screen, in the pattern indicated in the instructions that came with the kit.
- Apply construction adhesive to the top of the first layer of blocks.
- Position the second layer of blocks on top of the first, with the joints in the blocks overlapping the joints in the layer below.
- Continue applying construction adhesive and layers of blocks, overlapping the joints on each row, until the fire pit is complete (our kit was three blocks high).
- Place the metal fire bowl on top of the pit.
- After the construction adhesive has cured, built a fire in the fire pit and use the mesh fire screen to contain any embers.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Make a Picnic Table Drink Trough (video)
- Building a Picnic Table for Your Yard (video)
- Building an Adirondack Chair for Your Yard (video)
- Designing an Outdoor Entertainment Area (video)
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Build a Backyard Fire Pit from a Kit”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Stone fire pit kits are a popular way to add warmth to your landscape without the time and expense of building a custom pit.
The first step is creating a flat area in the right shape and size. In this case that means a circle four feet in diameter. Remove the grass and level and pack the soil in all directions.
This kit calls for using the provided screen as a template around which the blocks are placed in the prescribed pattern. Even with a template, be sure to pay attention to the number of blocks needed for each row, so that you don’t run out before you reach the top.
Between each row a generous layer of construction adhesive is applied, so that the next row will remain in the proper position. Simply follow this pattern until all the rows are complete. Insert the metal fire bowl and enjoy.