954 How To Videos
How to Fix a Clogged Kitchen Garbage DisposalBy: Danny Lipford
To fix a clogged or jammed garbage disposal:
- Turn the garbage disposal off.
- Insert the correct size hex or Allen wrench in the six sided hole in the bottom of the garbage disposer motor.
- Move the wrench back and forth to dislodge whatever it is that’s clogging it.
To clean a kitchen garbage disposal:
- Pour a small amount of baking soda in the garbage disposal.
- Pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the disposal on top of the baking soda.
- Allow the mixture to work for a few minutes.
- Pour boiling water in the garbage disposal.
- Allow the hot water to remain in the disposal for a few minutes.
- Turn the garbage disposal on, and flush it out with water from the sink faucet.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Clean a Garbage Disposal (video)
- Installing a Dishwasher (article)
- Replacing a Kitchen Faucet (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Danny Lipford: Rebecca asks, “If my garbage disposal is stuck, is it time to buy a new one?”
If your garbage disposal sounds like this, well, turn it off. Because it’s in a bind, and if you leave it that way, it’ll end up tripping the reset button on the bottom of the disposal or even a circuit breaker in your home.
But to dislodge whatever’s causing it to be in a bind you can use the hex wrench that came with the garbage disposal. I know most people lose them, that’s okay. Grab your set of Allen wrenches, get the right size, insert it into the recess hole right in the bottom of the disposal, and turn it left and right until you dislodge whatever caused it to get into a bind.
Then a little extreme cleaning may be good. Put a little baking soda in, a half a cup of vinegar; and then, after about five minutes, boiling water. That should help clean it, and keep it from being a problem in the future.