How-To Videos

How to Remove Glue and Adhesive from Floors

When removing glued down flooring, such as vinyl or linoleum, it’s important to get as much of the old adhesive off the subfloor as possible to provide a smooth surface for the new flooring. There are several tools that can be used to remove flooring adhesive, including:

• Hand Scraper: A simple hand floor scraper has a metal blade mounted on a handle. Using one can take a lot of work, so be sure to wear gloves to avoid blisters.
  • Reciprocating Saw: When equipped with a scraper attachment, such as the Spyder Scraper, this common power tool can make quick work of removing dried adhesive from almost any surface.
  • Power Scraper: This walk behind machine is the fastest way to scrape a floor. Available at tool rental stores.

Floor scraper               Spyder Scraper               Power scraper

10 Comments on “How to Remove Glue and Adhesive from Floors”

• Rebecca Kuhlman Says:
    July 19th, 2016 at 9:22 pm

We just finished laying a linoleum floor in our bathroom but the floor is still extremely sticky. What can we use too get the glue up off the flooring? My husband has done tile for 25 years and has never used this tile glue before. Tt called for miraclebond glue but no body has heard of it so the person told us this glue is the next best thin, and it was like soupy glue; so when he layed the flooring like a professional the glue seeped thru the cracks and we wiped it all off but I said the floor is way sticky and we have company coming tomorrow need help fast! Thank you

• mitchel Says:
    May 26th, 2016 at 5:01 am

gareth you may remove the stains by sanding it down really good or may have to try to take it up and flip it or when I have it up take it and have it planed down on either side.

• James Taylor Says:
    May 6th, 2016 at 1:09 pm

One of my neighbor ladies showed me a small spot on her kitchen linoleum and mentioned that the spot is from the glue seeping through the lino. Apparently it bothered her a lot and she tried different things to remove it without any success!

Any suggestions? I like to help the lady and whatever suggestion you may have I will give to her!

Thanks a million!

James T.

• Gokul Says:
    April 4th, 2016 at 9:20 am

Fevicol adhesive used by the carpenter during the renovation is firmly adhering to the vitrified tiles. Can anybody please suggest the method to clean the vitrified tiles & get rid of the fevicol glue which remains stuck.

• Chester Zukowski Says:
    January 28th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My son & I are upgrading the kitchen in his 1950’s era home & we just discovered another layer of tile & plywood under the visable layer. How can we remove the multiple layers of wood & tile so we can put in ceramic tile, short of cutting it all out down to the floor joyces.

• Gareth Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I recently fitted a real wood floor in my house and have now noticed glue staines on the floor. Is it possible to remove these? If so how?

Many Thanks

• jane eaton Says:
    October 9th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

How to remove glue from carpet that was stuck to concrete stairs? Probably liquid nail?

• Charlotte Williams Says:
    July 27th, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I am removing Nafco linoleum tiles and putting down laminate flooring. Concrete is under the tiles. Do I have to remove the adhesive or can I put the pad down over the adhesive?

• Melanie Says:
    January 21st, 2010 at 9:45 pm

My husband and I have a bungalow from 1950. The tiles in the basement were pulled up because they were cracking and chipping. Problem is is that on about 90% of itthere is asbestos tile adhesive on the floor. Is there a way to remove this safely and cost efficiently? Or can we install a floating laminate floor over the top of it? Or Carpet?

Thanks for your time and advice

• Ric Says:
    October 3rd, 2009 at 8:21 am

Suggestions for removing adhesive (Liquid nails??) from plaster walls to which a sheet backsplash was attached. PLS advise and thanx 4 ur time here Ric

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at