926 How To Videos
How to Repair a Ceiling CrackBy: Danny Lipford
Cracks in ceilings are caused mostly by settling of the house and the expansion and contraction created during that settling.
To repair a crack in a ceiling:
- Score the crack with a utility knife to remove any loose plaster or other material that may be inside the crack.
- Use mesh tape to cover the crack. This will allow the mud to bond directly to the plaster which will make the repair stronger.
- If your ceiling is drywall, you may have to add some screws to hold the two halves in place and make the crack even on both sides.
- Apply joint compound over the taped crack.
- Once the joint compound is dry, sand the ceiling smooth.
- Prime and paint the ceiling.
Read our article on How to Repair Cracks in a Drywall Ceiling to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “How to Repair a Ceiling Crack”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.