Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Replacing a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
The easiest way to replace a bathroom exhaust vent fan, is to buy a kit that replaces the old motor while reusing the existing housing. Watch this video to see how to replace the motor in your bathroom vent fan. ...More
Replacing a Bathroom Exhaust FanBy: Danny Lipford
The easiest way to replace a bathroom exhaust vent fan, is to buy a fan upgrade kit that replaces the old motor while reusing the existing housing. If a kit is not available for your fan, you may have to replace the entire unit.
To replace a vent fan using a fan motor replacement kit:
- Turn off the power to the fan at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
- Remove the cover on the vent fan.
- Unplug the fan motor from the vent fan housing.
- Unscrew the old fan motor from the housing, and take it out.
- Fit the new fan motor in the housing, and screw it in place.
- Plug the new fan motor into the fan housing.
- Replace the cover on the vent fan.
- Turn the power back on, and test the fan.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Replace a Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan (video)
- How to Size a Bathroom Vent Fan (article)
- How to Maintain a Bathroom Vent Fan (video)
- Installing a Bathroom Vent Fan Through a Wall (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
The easiest way to replace a bathroom vent fan is to keep the old housing and replace the fan and motor. Replacement kits designed for this purpose allow you to mount the new fan motor on a plate identical to the one that holds your existing fan motor.
So all you have to do is unplug the old fan from the housing, remove it from its mounting plate, then install the new plate with the new fan attached. Plug it in, replace the grill, and you’re done.