Around the Yard
Soda Bottle Seed Starter
By: Tricia Craven Worley
Looking for a place to start your seeds? How about in 2-liter plastic bottles? To keep the roots from being exposed to direct sunlight use colored bottles. Here’s how to go about it:
- Measure up 6″ from the bottom of a 2-liter bottle and make a mark.
- Put a rubber band around the bottle at the mark to use as a guide for an even cut.
- Cut along the rubber band and detach the top of the bottle.
- Make a 2½” cut in the top piece, and insert it into the bottom of the bottle.
- Invert the top piece into the bottom so the spout becomes a drain.
- Wad up a paper towel and put it in the bottom near the spout to hold in the soil
- Fill the part of the bottle with the spout with potting mix, and plant your seeds.