Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Tips on Painting a Garage Floor
Painting a garage floor improves the look of your garage and makes it easier to keep clean. Watch this video for tips on how to paint a garage floor. ...More
Before painting a garage floor, it’s important to prepare the concrete surface properly so the paint will adhere. When painting a garage floor:
- Remove Oil: Use a degreaser to remove any oil spots.
- Clean Floor: Apply masonry cleaner to the entire floor, and scrub it thoroughly.
- Let Floor Dry: Allow the floor to dry before painting.
- Paint Floor: Apply a paint or epoxy coating made for garage floors, following instructions.
- Nonskid Surface: For a nonskid surface, add sand or decorative sprinkles to the painted floor while wet.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Seal a Garage Floor (video)
- Applying an Epoxy Coating to a Garage Floor (video)
- Problems with Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Peeling (article)
- Problem with Condensation on a Garage Floor (article)
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “Tips on Painting a Garage Floor”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Jason asks: Is there any advantage to painting a garage floor?
Danny Lipford: One advantage in painting a garage floor is it looks a heck of a lot better. And it’s easier to keep clean. But you have to prepare any surface you’re painting, particularly a garage floor that has oil spots all over it and probably has never really been cleaned very well.
So, you need to take care of oil spots by using a de-greaser and then a masonry cleaner for the rest of the surface. You probably want to do it one day and allow let it dry over night before you apply your paint or your coating.
There’s a lot of different types of garage paints out there; not that expensive, fairly easy project to complete. But what I would recommend you use is an epoxy coating. And you can create a very nice non-skid surface by adding either sand or some of the decorative sprinkles so that you end up with an awesome-looking floor, and one that’s a lot safer to walk on.