Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Using a French Drain to Remove Standing Water in Your Yard
Standing water in your yard is an eyesore and can act as a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Installing a French drain is a great way to remove standing water from your yard. Watch this video to find out how to construct a French drain. ...More
Standing water in your yard is an eyesore and can act as a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Installing a French drain is a great way to remove standing water from your yard.
To construct a French drain:
- Dig a trench in your yard where water is standing.
- Add a bed of pea gravel to the bottom of the trench.
- Wrap a perforated, flexible, plastic landscape pipe with landscape fabric, or use pipe that is ready made for use in a French drain.
- Position the pipe in the trench so the top is below ground level.
- Leave one or both ends of the pipe open so the water can drain away.
- Cover the sides and top of the pipe with more pea gravel.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Fixing Foundation Drainage Problems with a French Drain (article)
- Proper Drainage Around the Foundation of Your Home (video)
- Drainage Solutions (Video)
- How to Keep Water from Damaging Your Home Foundation (Video)
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “Using a French Drain to Remove Standing Water in Your Yard”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
|Importance of Proper Drainage in Your Yard Whenever it rains, we have standing water in our yard. Is this a problem, and what should we do about...||How to Grade a Lot and Excavate for a Driveway or Paver Patio In order for the lot on the Kuppersmith Project house to drain properly, it had to be graded so the...||Fixing Foundation Drainage Problems with a French Drain Help! We bought a great house, but soon learned that when it rains, the water runs toward the house...||Flex-Drain Flexible Landscape Drainage Pipe for Your Yard Flex-Drain is a flexible, corrugated, plastic landscape drainage pipe that can be expanded up to...||Tips on Keeping Water Out of Basements The first step in keeping your basement dry is to make sure there is proper drainage in your yard...||Yard Drainage Solutions for AC Condensation Drain Runoff My AC unit drains into the side yard, causing the clay soil to become very wet and boggy. What can...|