August Home Maintenance To-Do List
By: Danny Lipford
To-Do #1: Replace Air Conditioner Filter
The air filter on your heating and cooling system needs to be replaced every 1-3 months to keep the air in your home clean and flowing freely through the unit. For best results use a high quality air filter that’s rated to remove mold, pollen, and other microscopic particles.
The air filter is located where the air returns to your heating/cooling unit. In some systems, the filter is in or near the air handler unit, while on others it’s behind the wall or floor return grate.
To replace the air filter:
- Turn the air conditioner off, and wait until it stops running.
- Take the cover off the air return.
- Remove the old air filter.
- Write the current date on the new air filter.
- Insert the new air filter in the return, making sure the arrow on the edge of the filter is facing in the direction of air flow. For filters with wall and floor mounted returns, the arrow should point in toward the return duct. For filters mounted in the ductwork near the air handler, the arrow should point toward the air conditioner unit.
- Put the cover back on the air return.
- Turn the air conditioner back on.
To make it easier to replace the filter next time, put a sticker on the cover with exactly what size filter you need to buy and when to replace it.
Check out our video on Changing the Air Filter in Your Home to find out more.
You May Also Like:
|August Weather Channel Appearances||August Lawn & Garden To-Do List||Preparing for Fall with Our 4 Seasons ...||Tip for Cleaning Under the Refrigerator|