Close Ad >>

How to Install Laminate Flooring Over a Tile Floor

Can I install laminate flooring over a ceramic tile floor? – Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

The short answer is yes, you can install laminate flooring over a ceramic tile floor, if the tile floor is in good condition, and the tile are well attached, level, and flat. The process would be the same as installing a laminate floor on a concrete slab.

However, if the existing ceramic tile floor isn’t flat and smooth, or if it has tile that are out of level or have a protruding corner, your laminate flooring will make you feel like you’re walking in a funhouse!

In that case, you can either opt to tear out all the tile and start from scratch, or use a leveling compound on top of the tile floor to even it out prior to installing the laminate.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

Comments

9 Comments on “How to Install Laminate Flooring Over a Tile Floor”

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 8th, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Hi, Michelle,
    You should be fine to install it over the existing flooring as long as there is no visible rotten wood. We suggest gluing the new subfloor with construction adhesive and using screws in a 6-inch grid pattern.
    Good luck!

• Michelle Says:
    April 21st, 2018 at 6:50 am

I have an older home built in 1942. The wood flooring is weak and squeeky. Am I able to apply a subfloor on top of this wood or should I remove the planks altogether?

• MARY LOU BOOTH Says:
    April 17th, 2018 at 5:24 pm

I too have saltillo tiling in my home right now and wish to cover it was laminate flooring.. Is it something that can be done for a reasonable cost and can one do it themselves? Thank you.

• Krista Harmon Says:
    April 2nd, 2018 at 8:52 am

If installing laminent flooring over tile what do you do if you have a transition to carpet?

• Ellen Says:
    March 3rd, 2018 at 8:13 pm

I was told by a large company that they wouldn’t lay laminate or vinyl planking over tile as the warranty would be void. Tiles are smooth, level & flat. Grout is in good condition. I really want to get this done.

• Lisa Fulton Says:
    July 28th, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I have Spanish tile “Saltillo” right now in my entire home. Can I put laminate flooring on top of that and if yes what do I need to start my project? Is it easy for me to do it myself.

• BARRY MAGERMAN Says:
    February 24th, 2016 at 5:50 am

WE WANT TO PUT LAMINATE OVER THE OLD 6 INCH TILE INSTEAD OF RIPPING OUT THE TILE, WHAT ABOUT THE GROUT LINES??

• sally varner Says:
    January 28th, 2016 at 12:49 am

can laminate be installed over backer board ? the tile has been removed there are ridges left from the underlayment.

• Vannda Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I have title right now in my living room and hall way. Can I put laminate flooring on top of that and if yes what do I need to start my project. Is it easy for me to do it myself.

How to Install Laminate Flooring Over a Tile Floor