July Lawn & Garden To-Do List

Printable To-Do List

Rainfall is scarce in July, and soaring temperatures can cause your garden and lawn to slow down and conserve energy. Vegetable gardens kick into high gear and will need some extra attention to stay happy. Other plants in your garden can benefit from special treatment as well. Here are some tips for your lawn and garden during the month of July.

Hydrangeas show off their blooms in midsummer.

Trees and Shrubs

• Prune dead, damaged, or diseased branches to prevent them from falling during summer storms.
  • Remove suckers by yanking downward to remove the growth bud.
  • Prune spring flowering shrubs early in the month, then leave them alone to set buds for next year. Summer and fall flowering shrubs should not be pruned unless badly overgrown while nonblooming hedges can be trimmed as needed.
  • Deadhead roses and other flowering shrubs so they will continue blooming.
  • Plants suffering from iron deficiency will benefit from an application of chelated iron.
  • Stop fertilizing trees and shrubs to allow them to reduce growth during the heat of summer.
  • Continue planting and transplanting container-grown trees and shrubs, but give them extra water and shade protection, if possible.
  • Apply extra mulch around the roots of trees and shrubs to hold in moisture.
  • Avoid digging or cultivating around shallow-rooted plants or otherwise disturbing the roots.
  • Take softwood cuttings of shrubs such as hydrangea, buddleia, rose, and Rose of Sharon.
  • Water trees infrequently, but deeply.

Trim and deadhead perennials to encourage repeat blooms.

Perennials and Bulbs

• For fall blooms, shear back chrysanthemums and asters until mid month at the latest.
  • Give a light haircut to bushy or leggy perennials to encourage blooming.
  • Stop deadheading perennials if you want to collect seed pods from them.
  • Areas with longer summers have time for one more planting of gladiolus.
  • Support vines and tall plants with trellises or stakes.
  • Cut flowers in the early morning when the stems are plump.
  • Order your spring blooming bulbs now for the best selection.
  • Divide and transplant Oriental poppies this month.

Comments

12 Comments on “July Lawn & Garden To-Do List”

• Jhae Says:
    July 23rd, 2019 at 11:16 am

Everyone love to have a beautiful and healthy lawn. This calendar lawn care helps a lot especially for the month of July!

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 7th, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Hi, Samornrat,

Have you tried the tips in this article? Some may apply to voles:

Good luck!

• Samornrat Kiefaber Says:
    July 2nd, 2018 at 9:49 am

How to get rid of the voles? They are making tunnels all over my yard. The ground is all puffed up and it makes the yard looking very ugly. In my state(NC) is illegal to kill them. Please help!

• CapeCoddess Says:
    July 12th, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I’d love a rain barrel but I have asphalt shingles. Would the rain run off be safe for the veggie garden?

• Karen Says:
    July 1st, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I appreciate all the reminders and tips. Are there any brands of grass seed that I can buy without any weeds? I notice on the bags that there is a certain percentage of weeds. I have some type of broad leaf weed that has developed in my grass. It’s either from the grass seed or corn gluten I used awhile back to control crab grass.
    Thank you.

• Papa Says:
    July 1st, 2016 at 4:28 pm

We’re suffering from drought in our area so hopefully the green will return to the grass in October.

• elaine irvin Says:
    July 3rd, 2013 at 7:24 am

Joyce Ellis, rather than using nails for the ceiling drywall, use srews. These don’t work out like nails. Elaine

• Judy Says:
    July 1st, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Question. I only have a small yard whereby most of it is shaded much of the dau However the front yard is in sun all day. It is beginning to look a little brown. Is there anything I can put on it to green it up thats not real expensive??
    Judy

• Joyce Ellis Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:21 am

This is not a gardening question but in our home nails from the ceiling and walls work their way out and look bad. This is happening all over the house. When it is repaired it still looks bad to me and it does it again. I have wondered if this is something structural. They really show up on the walls.
    Thanks,
    Joyce Ellis

• Debbie Says:
    July 4th, 2011 at 3:12 am

I am having a serious issue with my yard and would like your opinion.I had someone to come out and look at my yard and was told that my newly sodded yard was infested with Dalis grass,to treat it would kill my yard.Is it possible to treat this?

• Judy Jones Says:
    July 2nd, 2009 at 7:52 am

Thanks for all these great tips! Makes me want to leave the office and do some gardening!

JJ

• Teena Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Very helpful tips you got here. Good job. It is always important to take care of the lawn and the garden. It always looks good when your lawn is taken cared properly.

characters available