Summer Home Maintenance To-Do List
By: Danny Lipford
Outdoor Summer Home Maintenance
- Inspect Crawl Space: Excess moisture in the crawl space under your home can cause mold, rot, and buckled wood flooring. Inspect the crawl space, floor joists, and any HVAC ductwork under your home for signs of moisture or condensation, and inspect foundation walls for leaks or seepage. Make sure to cover the crawl space with thick plastic to prevent moisture from coming up through the ground.
- Patch Cracks and Holes in Driveway: Use concrete repair caulk or asphalt crack sealer to repair cracks in concrete or asphalt driveways. If your driveway is showing its age, you may want to pressure wash it, repair any holes, and then apply a concrete resurfacer or asphalt sealer to give it new life.
- Prune Shrubs Around AC Units: Air conditioning units and heat pumps require plenty of air circulation to work efficiently, so it's important to keep shrubs trimmed back away from the unit. Make sure there's at least 18” of room around the sides of the air conditioner, and three feet or more above the unit.
- Check Lawn Irrigation: Inspect irrigation lines and nozzles for leaks and clogs, and adjust the sprinkler heads so your lawn is evenly covered and water isn’t wasted on sidewalks and driveways. To test the coverage, place straight-sided tuna cans on the ground around the yard, and run your sprinkler as usual. If your irrigation system is set right, all of the cans should be filled to the same level. Watch our video on How to Water Your Lawn to find out more.
For more home maintenance to-do lists, check out:
- Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
- Winter Home Survival Guide
- Spring Home Improvement Guide
- Monthly Lawn & Garden To-Do Lists
You May Also Like:
|It’s Summertime In the 4 Seasons...||Make Your Home Feel Warmer||AC Maintenance Tips||Importance of Proper Attic Ventilation|