Close Ad >>

How to Vent a Range Hood Through the Roof

Kitchen range hood.

Kitchen range hood vented through roof.

I have a range that is located against an outside brick wall in a one-story kitchen with a flat roof. To avoid going through the brick wall, can I vent the hood straight up through roof? What sort of cap would I use that would prevent insects from entering but would still operate properly in a strong wind or with a heavy snow load? -John

Hi John,

Yes, you can vent a range hood through the roof using a 6” single wall pipe.

You can buy the proper flashing to install it on a flat roof and a roof cap that has screen around it to prevent insects from entering.

Be sure to extend the pipe up at least 2’ to 3’ above the roof to prevent snow buildup from causing problems.

10 Comments on “How to Vent a Range Hood Through the Roof”

• mark Hetherington Says:
    February 11th, 2018 at 9:03 am

We have a high output gas range and the microwave range hood is not enough to keep up with the rigors of cooking on this range. I want to install a ducted range hood with adequate cfm but the wall to install it on is an interior wall. My garage is on the other side of it. Was curious how to vent this to the outside and if there were length restrictions on duct work. I would have to run about 25-30ft or so of ductwork to vent it to the outside. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

• Michele Says:
    January 15th, 2018 at 12:06 am

My range hood was vented through the roof but is not centered over the range hood. As a result, it looks awful from inside the house, since it abuts a beam that runs across the kitchen ceiling. I would like to have the range hood vented straight up rather than angled, as it is, but have been told the roofers made the hole about a foot to the right of center because there were two beams interfering with the pipe insertion, and they were too lazy to deal with them. Is it possible to insert the pipe straight up and centered above the range hood, as I would like it to be? If so, how would they do it? Thank you!

• Judith Jennings Says:
    December 6th, 2017 at 3:46 pm

I have not seen any articles so far about venting through a 2nd floor +attic to roof. Would it be better to do a sidewall vent?

• Lenore Gibson (LLG) Says:
    May 16th, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Do you recommend installing a particular brand of roof vent for my range that will exhaust from the range, but prevent cold air from seeping back into the kitchen on windy days? Our current vent allows air to blow back through our kitchen hood.

• Miki Says:
    July 18th, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I have no outside vent in my kitchen and we are going to install a microwave and use the vent in it and duct I out through the roof. I need instructions on how to do this!!!!! Help please!

December 16th, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Charles,
    No. You should vent the microwave exhaust fan through the roof.

• Charles Says:
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:23 am

I have a new microwave installation with the under unit stove top vent mechanism. It’s installed and I have the duct extended into the attic. Can I, rather than cutting another hole in my roof, run a flexible line over to the existing roof turbine (not electric style) and fasten it there again rather than cutting holes???

• jerry Says:
    May 28th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

do i have to insulate the exhaust pipe on the range hood vent that goes to the roof

• corning // corning ware stove top coffee percolator \ old … Says:
    May 31st, 2010 at 4:15 pm

[…] read more at: […]

• G K Says:
    February 1st, 2010 at 12:02 pm

When roof venting with over the range hoods, if you use high CFM’s are they noisy? The higher the CFM’s , the higher the noise? I saw a comment somewhere also that not all CFM usage is the same. IE: say using 600 CFM in one instance may not be the same as using 600 CFM in another instance. We will be rising above the hood vent apprx. 15 ‘…how do we calculate how much CFM is needed?

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at

How to Vent a Range Hood Through the Roof