Around the Yard
How to Clean and Maintain a Birdbath in Your Yard
By: Danny Lipford
A birdbath makes a great addition to your landscape, but the debris and algae they collect are far less than attractive. Here’s a tip for getting the bath clean and keeping it clean.
- Remove the leaves, debris and stagnant water.
- Spray out as much gunk as possible with a garden hose.
- Mix up a mild bleach solution and use a stiff scrub brush to clean the bath (this will kill the algae and remove the stains it leaves behind).
- Thoroughly rinse the bath out with clean, fresh water.
- Finally drop several copper pennies into the refilled bath to prevent future algae growth (the chemical reaction between copper and water stops algae growth).