DIY Jig for Drilling Perpendicular Holes
By: Joe Truini
Here’s how to make a simple jig that allows you to drill perfectly perpendicular holes that are the same depth every time.
Perpendicular Hole Drilling Jig:
- Cut two pieces of 1×4 scrap lumber the same length and square on each end, so when the drill chuck is held against the block, the drill bit protrudes the desired depth of the hole below the jig.
- Screw the two blocks of wood together to form a “T” shape.
- Position the drill bit on the stock, and hold the jig next to it.
- Align the drill bit with the inside angle of the blocks, and drill the hole.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Enlarge a Hole (video)
- Preventing Tear Out When Drilling (video)
- DIY Jig for Drilling Cabinet Handles (video)
- How to Keep a Drill Bit from Wandering in Metal (video)
Joe Truini: One of the challenges of drilling with a cordless drill is how do you know when the bit is perfectly straight so you get a perfectly straight hole?
Well, you may have seen this trick before where you can take any square block of wood—in this case a two-by-four—and you hold it in place. And you put the bit up against it—you align the bit with the block—and now you know you’re perfectly straight. Right?
That’s a great tip, except what about this direction? It doesn’t help you with this direction, only in one direction. So here’s a better idea.
I just took a couple of little pieces of one-by-four. I screwed them together to form this inside angle—that’s what you need, that inside corner. And now, when you put the bit in place—the drill—and you hold this jig up against it, you put the bit right in the corner.
And now, as you can see, it’s being held in both directions—perfectly square—and you just drill your hole.
And if you cut the block the right length, which I did here purposely. And you see I have three-quarters of an inch sticking out, and that’s exactly what I need—a three-quarters-inch deep hole.
And so I can just drill down. And when the chuck hits the top of the jig, your hole is done.