How to Add Brick Foundation Vents to Crawl Space
By: Danny Lipford
Adequate crawl space ventilation is important to the health of a home. In this case the space was bricked in and the few existing vents were created by simply turning the bricks vertically to create a kind of louver. Here’s how to add new vents:
- Lay out new vent locations so they are positioned similarly to the existing ones.
- Cut the horizontal mortar joints using a concrete saw. Cut carefully so you can re-use the bricks to create new vertical louvers.
- Some bricks will need to be cut in order to square up the new opening.
- Remove the old mortar and mix new mortar.
- “Butter” the mortar onto the bottom and end of each piece as it is placed. Ensure the mortar joints are consistent and cleaned up before they dry.
- Cover the raw brick edges along the bottom of the opening with a sculpted layer of mortar before placing the vertical bricks in place.
Videos You May Like
|Clearing the Air||How to Make Floors Warmer Over a Crawl...||How to Insulate a Crawlspace||How to Blend New with Old|