How to Fix Squeaky Door Hinges
By: Joe Truini
Door hinges that squeak every time they’re opened or closed can be very annoying. It only takes a few minutes to stop door hinges from squeaking, here’s how.
To fix squeaking door hinges:
- Remove Hinge Pin: Insert a large nail or nail set in the bottom of the hinge and tap the hinge pin out.
- Clean Hinge Pin: Wipe any dirt, grease, or grime off the hinge pin using a cotton cloth.
- Remove Rust on Hinge Pin: Sand the hinge pin lightly with medium (120-grit) sandpaper to remove any rust, and wipe off any sanding dust.
- Lubricate Hinge Pin: Apply a thin bead of machine oil to the length of the hinge pin.
- Install Hinge Pin: Use a hammer to tap the hinge pin into the hinge from the top.
- Dispense Lubricate: Open and close the door several times to work the lubricant into the hinge to stop the squeak.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Hinge Pin Door Repair (video)
- Loose Door Hinge Repair Tip (video)
- How to Cut Mortises for Door Hinges (video)
- How to Trim a Door (video)
- How to Mark a Door Bottom for Trimming (video)
Joe Truini: Here’s a problem that every homeowner can relate to—the squeaky door. Now, there are a lot of reasons why a door hinge will squeak. But it doesn’t matter the reason. With this simple tip, you can silence any squeaky hinge.
First start with the nail or a nail set and a hammer, and tap out the hinge pin. Pull it all the way out. Then use a cotton cloth and clean the hinge pin really well—wipe off all dirt and grease.
Get it as clean as you can, and then take a piece of sandpaper—120-grit sandpaper—and buff the pin as clean as you can get it. You want it to look brand new. Remove all the dirt, grease, especially any paint that’s left behind. You get it really clean.
And then lubricate it with a little machine oil—just one bead of machine oil down the shaft of the pin—and just tap it back into the hinge.
OK, now you just test it. There you go, it’s easy as that. We’ve silenced the squeak.
Videos You May Like
|Remove Brass Hinge Finish||How to Adjust Cabinet Hinges||Fixing a Sticky Door Lock||Refinishing an Entry Door|