Ask Danny Videos
How to Hang a Heavy Mirror or Picture on a Wall
The most secure way to hang a heavy mirror or painting on a wall is to drive a long screw directly into a wall stud. When a wall stud isn’t available where you want to hang a heavy picture, a toggle bolt provides the most holding power.
To install a toggle bolt:
- Put a nut, washer, and toggle nut on the bolt.
- Use a Phillips head screwdriver to make a hole in the drywall just large enough for the toggle nut to fit through.
- Insert the toggle nut through the wall so the spring-loaded wings spread out on the other side.
- Tighten up the bolt and nut, leaving a gap between the two for the picture or mirror hanger.
- Hang the mirror or painting on the toggle bolt and level.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Hang Pictures Right the First Time (article)
- How to Hang Anything on Anything (article)
- Simple Jig for Hanging Pictures (video)
- Testing Wall Anchors and Picture Hangers (article)
Tiffany Asks: What’s the best way to hang a heavy mirror on the wall?
Danny Lipford: The best way to hang anything heavy on your wall is to use a 3-inch screw and screw it right into a wall stud. You’ll be lucky if you find a wall stud exactly where you want to hang that heavy picture, so you have to go to hollow wall anchors. Lot of different kinds out there that you can use.
What I like to use, always works well, is an old fashioned toggle bolt. And now here’s a nice little trick. Take the toggle bolt and then put a nut, thread it into the toggle bolt, then put a couple washers on it. Then screw the little wing on the end of the toggle bolt. Then use you screwdriver to create a hole in the drywall. And then when you place it in and tighten it up real nice, you have a great, very strong, wall anchor.
Videos You May Like
|How to Hang Pictures on Drywall||Picture Hanger Marking Tip||Insta Hang Product Review||Hang Rite Product Review|