How to Make a Laundry Hamper Organizer
By: Danny Lipford
The dimensions of your hamper tower will depend on the size and number of hampers you need to accommodate. For this design the hampers must have a lip around the upper edge so they can be supported by cleats on either side.
In this case, the hampers are 10-1/4 inches high so we can house three of them in a cabinet that’s about 36 inches tall. The depth of the cabinet should also accommodate the depth of the hampers.
- Once you determine the overall dimensions, cut the sides of the unit from 5/8-inch plywood.
- The cleats that will support the hampers are made from 1x2s positioned at equal intervals up and down each side. Secure the cleats with screws.
- Paint and prime the sides.
- Connect the two sides along the back and top with more 1x2s. This dimension will depend upon the width of your hampers.
- Move the unit into position in the laundry room. Screw to the studs in the walls through the 1x2s along the back.
- Use a piece of laminate countertop or a piece of plywood to cover the tower.
When it’s complete the hampers can slide in and out of the tower.
Also, check out Chelsea’s post Laundry Sorter How-To for a tutorial on building a sorter that looks like a dresser.
Videos You May Like
|Laundry Organizer||How to Build a Custom Shoe Storage Rack||Updating the Laundry Room||Tips for Moving into a College Dorm Room|