How to Mark the Location for a Picture Hanger
By: Joe Truini
Determining where to mark the location for a picture hanger on a wall can be a bit of a challenge. Here’s an easy tip on how to find the correct height to nail a picture hanger on a wall in your home.
To find the location of a picture hanger on a wall:
- Hold the picture on the wall where you want it to hang.
- Mark the top of the picture frame with a pencil.
- Hook a tape measure to the wire on the back of the picture frame.
- Measure from the wire to the top of the picture frame.
- Measure that distance down the wall from the top of the frame.
- Make a mark on the wall for the location of the picture hanger.
- Position the picture hanger so it aligns with the mark.
- Attach the picture hanger to the wall.
- Hang the picture on the hanger.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Hang Pictures Right the First Time (article)
- How to Hang Pictures on Drywall (video)
- Simple Jig for Hanging Pictures in Your Home (video)
- Keeping Picture Frames Level (video)
Joe Truini: One of the quickest and easiest ways to decorate a room is to hang framed photographs and artwork. In this case, there were two paintings here. I’m going to replace them with one larger one, and I’ll come back and patch those holes later. But I want to show you a quick and easy way to make a mark, and put in the nail exactly where you need it.
First, hold up the painting where you’d like it, say right there. Then take a pencil and make a mark along the very top edge of the frame, right in the middle. Okay, now take it down. With a tape measure, hook on to the wire and pull it tight, and measure to the top edge of the frame. This will be our reference point that matches the mark we made on the wall. In this case, it’s three and a quarter inches.
Now, all you need to do is measure down three and a quarter inches from the pencil line, make a mark and drive in your nail. And the picture will be exactly where you want it.