How to Repair and Seal an Asphalt Driveway
By: Danny Lipford
Asphalt driveways can develop cracks and deteriorate over time. To keep your driveway in good shape, it’s important to clean, repair, and seal it every few years.
It’s best to work on an asphalt driveway during warm weather so the repair material and sealer will set faster. Be sure to fill all cracks and holes to keep rainwater from penetrating through the asphalt.
To repair and seal an asphalt driveway:
- Edge the driveway and remove any grass or dirt.
- Make sure it’s draining properly so rainwater doesn’t pool on the driveway.
- Clean the surface and any cracks with pressure washer.
- Use stiff broom to remove any remaining dirt or debris.
- Allow surface to dry.
- Use a cold set asphalt repair patch material to fill any large cracks or holes and tamp it down.
- Fill small cracks with asphalt crack repair material in a caulking tube or bottle applicator.
- Apply a thin coat of paste patch material to pitted surfaces and allow it to set.
- Apply an oil spot primer to oil stains so the sealer will adhere properly.
- Allow the patching material to set.
- Use drill attachment to stir sealer thoroughly.
- Apply the sealer, starting from the high end of the driveway, and spread it out smooth with a squeegee.
- Allow sealer to dry (5-6 hours), then apply a second coat if needed.
- Allow 24-48 hours drying time before driving on driveway.
The asphalt repair products used in this video, were made by Latex·ite.
Videos You May Like
|Repairing Driveway Cracks||How to Install an Asphalt Driveway||Repairing Cracks in a Driveway||Patching an Asphalt Driveway|