DIY Projects

How to Repair Leaks in HVAC Ductwork

By: Danny Lipford

Leaks in HVAC ducts allow air from your furnace or air conditioner to escape, wasting energy and raising heating and cooling costs.

To seal holes or tears in ductwork:

  1. Locate Leaks: Turn on the HVAC fan and feel along the ducts for drafts that indicate escaping air.
  2. Seal Leaks: Turn off the fan and apply special metallic foil tape made for repairing ducts over the hole or gap. Don’t use standard duct tape, since the adhesive will come loose over time.
  3. Apply Duct Mastic: Use a brush to apply duct mastic over the tape and joints to improve the seal.

Watch this video to find out more.

Further Information

Video Transcript

Leaks in ductwork are often found where lines branch off or separate. With the furnace fan running, you can feel air escaping the duct. Once you’ve found the leak, use foil duct tape to cover the gap and seal the leak.

For an extra layer of protection, use a paint brush to apply a coat of duct mastic. This thick, sticky material will dry to form an airtight seal that will keep the air in those ducts where it belongs.


Please Leave a Comment

5 Comments on “How to Repair Leaks in HVAC Ductwork”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

  • Official Comment:

    Thomas Boni Says:
    November 16th, 2018 at 5:50 pm

    Hi, Pat! We used Nashua FlexFix for this project. It should be available at your local The Home Depot.
    Take care!

  • Pat Says:
    November 16th, 2018 at 4:23 am

    What is the brand of duct masking and when can I buy it? When I search it comes up with duct tape.

  • Official Comment:

    Thomas Boni Says:
    August 14th, 2018 at 1:07 pm

    Hi, Bev,

    You know what they say — a picture’s worth a thousand words! Please send photos to so we can better understand your question.


  • Bev Says:
    August 13th, 2018 at 8:54 pm

    Apartment was bug bombed in the trash room and inside of walls. I want to know if it can get into the AC or ducts causeit has a chemical odor I used bleach to clean coils can I get rid of it with water and brush?

  • daniel w hebert Says:
    March 14th, 2017 at 8:52 am

    what is an RAPP boot? I have this notes on a set of specs.
    what do you recommend for lighting rods which penetrate a metal roof?

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at

How to Repair Leaks in HVAC Ductwork