How to Replace a Damaged Asphalt Roof Shingle
Asphalt roof shingles can be easily damaged by high winds and falling tree limbs. When replacing a damaged asphalt roof shingle, you can either replace the entire piece, or cut the shingle into sections and replace just a single tab.
Remove nails Slide in new shingle Nail new shingle
How to replace an asphalt roof shingle:
- Insert a putty knife under and above the damaged shingle to break the seal holding it down.
- Use a flat bar to pry up the damaged shingle and remove the nails, being careful not to damage the shingle above it.
- Cut off the damage tab of the shingle with a utility knife, or remove the entire piece.
- Slip the new shingle or tab in place, and secure it under the shingle above with 7/8” roofing nails.
- Once the damaged shingle has been replaced, lift the tab up and apply a dab of roof cement to seal the shingles to the roof.
Watch this video to find out more.
Videos You May Like
|Asphalt Shingle Roof Replacement||Replacing a Roof Shingle||When to Replace Asphalt Roof||Metal Flashing Shingle Repair|