How-To Videos

How to Replace Insulated Double-Pane Glass Windows

Removing fogged insulated glass on a window for replacement.

Removing fogged insulated glass on a window for replacement.

Insulated double-pane glass windows are very energy efficient. However, over time the seal separating the two panes can break, allowing outside air and moisture in that can fog up the glass.

One way to repair this problem is to remove and replace the glass while leaving the window unit in place. Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

37 Comments on “How to Replace Insulated Double-Pane Glass Windows”

Thomas Boni Says:
    August 17th, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Hi, Kate,
    Danny says, “Possibly, but it’s very doubtful because the vast majority of double-pane windows are vacuum sealed. There is a small percentage of them that allow separation of the two panes but they are a bit rare or unusual. Thanks for your question!”

• Kate Hawthorne Says:
    August 8th, 2018 at 2:22 am

I have a double pane insulated window with a mullion inside the glass in the top window section. The mullion has broken away from its seal and fallen over inside the window. Can I just remove the glass pane inside, fix the mullion and put the glass pane back in without having to replace the whole unit?

Thomas Boni Says:
    June 7th, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Hi, Carlos,
    TodaysHomeowner.com features home improvement advice from the nationally syndicated TV show “Today’s Homeowner” and its experts.
    We don’t offer information on individual home builders and suppliers, but we encourage checking your local phone listings for this information.
    Good luck, and thanks for your question!

• Carlos Cruz Says:
    June 5th, 2018 at 3:20 pm

We live in Hoffman Estates, IL We have 5 large panel double pane windows that have broken the seals. They are all on an open second floor to our family room. We are looking for a reliable trustworthy company that we can hire to replace the double pane glass. Can you recommend someone whom we can rely to do the job right.

Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• Todd Says:
    May 14th, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I have found the round cutter tool on eBay and those of you that need glass, online too. You can buy almost anything you want. We will be replacing all the glass thermal panes in our second owner home this summer. In the early 90s, Andersen had a known problem with collapsed glass units and will not replace them because they are just over 20 years old. They want over $5000 for new sashes. I can replace all the thermal units with a better grade for less than $2000. I remodel 1-2 homes a year and will be using all Pella Windows from now on because I think a known defect should be covered beyond original warranty period. I’m a little put out by Andersens response.

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 8th, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Hi, Tom,

Danny says, “You can buy replacement units but they would be custom units that would be available through most any glass company. They routinely replace units like that and you might consider getting an estimate from some glass companies on what they may charge. It might be more reasonable than you think.”

Good luck!

• Tom Larsen Says:
    April 30th, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I have double pane insulated glass in aluminum frame Non moveable. Approx 20×60. From the outside it look like the glass can be removed. The edges of the glass are covered by small aluminum strips that press in place. How does the window come out. Can I buy replacements ? Measurements are approximate.

Thomas Boni Says:
    April 27th, 2018 at 11:28 am

Hi, Bradford,
    We recommend checking out this article, in case you missed it:
    Thanks for your question!

• bradford molkentin Says:
    April 24th, 2018 at 10:34 am

Can a double pane window that has broken seal and moisture inside be repaired ?

• hikeir Says:
    April 2nd, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Where can I get that circular razor cutting tool used to cut the silicone holding the pane to the frame? What is that called? I cannot find it anywhere online…and I want it!

• Dennis Toomey Says:
    March 30th, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I have 3 double pane picture windows that are fogged up. Aluminum frames. Can I just replace the glass? The bids I am getting for new windows are out of the question. Way too much money for this retired guy. What do I do?

• David Cassidy Says:
    March 3rd, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Lowes will sell replacement window glass cut to your specifications if you’re considering replacement of just the broken outer glass. I have a double pane Crystal window that inexplicably broke, and it was on a high second story window, so it was likely just from thermal stresses on a window that wasn’t built properly. Seems the lower cost windows are more likely to experience this kind of breakage.
    I’m going to go the route of trying to replace just the outer pane, as the inside pane is still intact.

Thomas Says:
    March 4th, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Hi, David!
    We provide questions to Danny on a weekly basis. Like the website says, we’re not able to answer every question due to the high volume of mail we receive, but we sure do our best. 🙂
    Thanks so very much for watching, and for visiting TodaysHomeowner.com.

• David Cassidy Says:
    March 3rd, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Is this a question and question forum? Where are the answers?

• Wayne Aultman Says:
    December 30th, 2017 at 8:36 am

Hello
    We have Jeld Wen 2500 double pane slider windows in our home. Installed spring of 2017. One got broaden during construction . Can you please get me step by step instructions to replace the pane. ? There is a thin strip of vinyl around the inside of the window. It looks like it should be removed, but I don’t want to damage anything proceeding without direction. Please help

• Pete Campbell Says:
    October 9th, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Visit your local glass company. Window companies want to sell you new window replacements. Take your glass out and take it to the local glass company. They will cut and repair a new window pane for not a lot of money..

• James Says:
    September 29th, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Where can I buy just the thermal glass casement only? I don’t need a contractor, just the glass. So far, no one sells just the glass and they act as if you can only replace your glass with professional help. True in some cases but not mine. What is going on? I can take apart my window in less than 2 minutes. It’s extortion and the window installers know it. I’ve called 30 of them and they almost admit it. Waiting for an answer.please.
    Thanks
    James

• Sharon Says:
    September 25th, 2017 at 3:12 pm

I have an atrium door that is 9ft. Wide, I need to replace the three door panes of double strength glass. Having trouble getting an estimate for glass only, we can do the repair itself.

• john bohannon Says:
    September 16th, 2017 at 11:31 am

I have insulated double-pane glass windows the top having three vertical strips. These strips in ten of thirty six windows have tilted to the side. Repair or replaced information needed. All new windows installed in 1988. Thanks

• Donna Says:
    February 16th, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Double pane windows – it’s not that the seals CAN break; they WILL break. Replace with single pane windows & never have to replace your windows again.

• Carl Says:
    November 7th, 2016 at 12:54 pm

We have a house that is 15 years old. All of our windows are double pane vinyl. Some have broken the seals. We would like to have the double pane glass only replaced but we are looking for someone that will do the job right. We are not familiar with any reliable company that has done this type of work. We live in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

Any suggestions?

• Dan Young Says:
    October 10th, 2016 at 12:20 pm

My daughter has double pane crank out windows. Both panes are broken. What is the best way to remove the window to have it repaired.

Thank you.

• Tim Ebelthite Says:
    September 5th, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I am replacing the glass only of a Jeld wen window.Non movable top piece only. What is the best way to remove the vinyl strips holding the glass in place?

• David Newton Says:
    August 19th, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Where can I buy just the double pane glass for the window?

• Dennis Brown Says:
    August 19th, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Setting blocks come in various configurations: 1/16X 1X4, 1/8X1X2, 1/4X1X2, etc. I am replacing a 19X50 ” double pane door sidelight. Which setting block shouldI use?

• Bob Says:
    August 15th, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Where can I buy just the double pane glass for the window?

• jerry moore Says:
    August 6th, 2016 at 2:10 pm

where can i buy replacement glass for a vinyl window that has a broken seal the builder was useless can’t seem to remember where he bought the windows

• Tom Says:
    July 29th, 2016 at 8:29 am

Where can you purchase replacement, double pane window glass? I have a broken window in vinyl clad window and just need the window glass.

• Evans Glass Says:
    June 22nd, 2016 at 6:55 am

Insulating glass is two or more plies of glass enclosing a hermetically sealed air space. Inherently, insulating glass increases a window’s thermal performance.

• Marsha Says:
    May 26th, 2016 at 11:50 am

Not looking for new Windows, that’s what most contractors do, con you into buying new. My double insulated Windows have moisturizer inside. Just looking for someone to take apart and reseal the window.

• bill Says:
    May 24th, 2016 at 9:49 am

where can I get a replacement double glazed window glass ? I have the double pane window unit out of the frame and I can’t find a place to buy the replacement glass unit

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    April 28th, 2016 at 10:30 am

Jim, you can search for contractors in your area on Pella’s website: http://www.pella.com/where-to-buy/find-a-contractor/

• Jim Says:
    April 27th, 2016 at 9:14 am

I have a large window pane from a pella window that was broken by a stine. Can you provide to ma a list of contractors in the Phila, pa area who would do this work. Thank you

• Tom Says:
    June 1st, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Where do you buy the double thermal pane replacement glass that goes into the aluminum frame?

• Maretta Breiner Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

What would cause an Insulated double-pane glass window to blow out? There are no signs of anything hitting it and it is placed too high for someone to get to it.
    Thanks for your answer.

• Bill Murray Says:
    January 16th, 2012 at 9:15 am

Where can you purchase replacement, double pane window glass. I have one cracked by a stone.
    Thanks

• david caskey Says:
    January 13th, 2012 at 11:57 am

I have done every thing you say to do for sweating on inside windows and storm doors , nothing has worked and they are double pane and hign end doors and windows. They are a mess and have ruined the wood and new curtains also. The house has new every thing . we are thinking of new windows with 3 panes and double hung with gas . all those other people on remarks of same problem is the reason we put in new ones and upgraded home with vents and etc.

How to Replace Insulated Double-Pane Glass Windows