How to Replace Screen Wire on a Screen Door
By: Joe Truini
The hardest part of replacing screening is to make sure it’s tight and wrinkle free. Here’s an easy way to accomplish this:
- Remove the screen mold from around the door and take off the old screen wire.
- Put two 8’ long 2x4s on sawhorses with 2” thick pieces of wood across them at each end.
- Place the screen door on top of the supports.
- Clamp the door to the 2x4s in the middle, causing it to bow.
- Attach the screen to the bottom of the door with staples.
- Pull the screen tight, and staple it at the top of the door.
- Remove the clamps so the door springs back straight, pulling the screen taught.
- Finish by attaching the screen to one of the long sides of the door
- Staple the screen to the other long side, pulling it tight to work out any wrinkles as you go.
- Nail the screen mold back in place around the door.
- How to Replace a Window Screen (video)
- Repairing Window Screens (video)
- Replacing a Torn Window Screen (video)
- Cleaning Window Screens (video)
Videos You May Like
|Retractable Screen Doors||Cleaning Window Screens||Adjust Pneumatic Door Closer||How to Install a Storm Door|